• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Unofficial Patch Frees Dark Souls PC of Resolution Limits

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
data2012-08-2401-24-0c4qnh.jpg

There's been quite a bit of criticism directed towards From Software, the developers behind Dark Souls, for putting such a minimal amount of effort into the PC port. Around the time of the initial announcement, PC gamers were elastic that the game, critically acclaimed on consoles, was coming to PC. Finally, we'd be able to max it out at a super high resolution with copious amounts of AA.

Er, not so fast.

Continue reading...

hush404

It does look better, but I shake my head at people whom cancel pre-orders because of stuff like this. It's obvious they don't game for the enjoyment of gaming.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I agree, though I'm sure some of those people already bought the game on console and were douple dipping for the superior PC version. In that case backing out isn't so unreasonable.

hush404

That's true, but I'm also sure that there was some of the first idea (Of canceling because of specs) going on too. Probs more than we'd like to admit. :/

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Awesome. I'll have to get this when it's finished downloading although have to wait until Monday to get a proper play.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
This apparently breaks the tutorial messages and stuff.(background DOF seems lower quality in higher resolution too because of low buffer resolution likely optimized for 720p. Not a big deal) Who knows what else it breaks,performance probably suffers too since there is still minor slowdown in blighttown(And I mean MINOR) at sub 720p. At sub 720p, just resting at a bonfire made my GPU usage jump to 30% from ~15-20%. No FPS drop though.

Honestly, people would've complained ANYWAY if FromS had taken the time to do this and then test the WHOLE game with it to iron out bugs. They still would've complained it's a console port. They still would've complained about any performance problems. I feel bad for FromS. I still appreciate them for what they've done and I wish there was a way I could say thank you to everyone there.

And hopefully whatever bugs if any with this get ironed out and people just let it go.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
This game is so addicting, I played for like 8 hours today. No issues with the PC port after installing the res fix either. Hopefully the next Souls game will have a simultaneous release on PC considering it seems to be selling well.

El Diablo

I want to get this game, do you NEED a controller to play it on the PC or is the kb/m a viable control scheme? Is there any risk of getting "banned" or restricted from any of the online aspects by using the resolution mod? I've heard great things about it and I'm hoping I can get into it more than the first since I can play it on my PC now, I'm just hoping I can play it as a PC game and not have to rely on a controller.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I want to get this game, do you NEED a controller to play it on the PC or is the kb/m a viable control scheme? Is there any risk of getting "banned" or restricted from any of the online aspects by using the resolution mod? I've heard great things about it and I'm hoping I can get into it more than the first since I can play it on my PC now, I'm just hoping I can play it as a PC game and not have to rely on a controller.

The KB+M controls are rubbish, so yes, I'd say a controller is a must. The biggest issue is that your character often attacks in the wrong direction, and locking on doesn't seem to help much. They obviously didn't put any effort to adapt the control scheme, the dialog boxes still show 360 button icons when a controller isn't even plugged in.

The res fix shouldn't get you banned, it doesn't directly modify the exe or anything.

El Diablo

Yesterday I was at my friends house playing Dark Souls in offline mode because he had no internet. Now when I log onto it, it still seems to be in offline mode (don't see any writing anywhere, cannot use any stones etc). Is there anyway to get it back in online mode or did I screw myself and start new if I want to be able to be in online mode?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yesterday I was at my friends house playing Dark Souls in offline mode because he had no internet. Now when I log onto it, it still seems to be in offline mode (don't see any writing anywhere, cannot use any stones etc). Is there anyway to get it back in online mode or did I screw myself and start new if I want to be able to be in online mode?

Signing into Live via the main menu screen should get you back in I think. Make sure Windows firewall isn't blocking it or something.