• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Updating GFX card

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
First of all let me start off by saying I have no idea about GFX cards. I have an ATI Radeon 2400 and I would like to upgrade. Doesn't have to be anything super out of this world. Just a reliable, fast, capable GFX for work, films, and little playing. Needs to have either 2 VGA out or 1 VGA/1 DVI-D

Open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Most if not all GPU's come with DVI to VGA adapters now days.
And if you get one that doesn't , you can find them easy.
What GPU you need depends on your needs.
What resolution will you be playing at?

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
well this monitor only goes up to 1080i / 720p, so there really. I'm on XP too if that matters. Actually you know what it doesn't even need to be for gaming i've got consoles for that.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Well, directx11 cards would probably be near useless but would still give stellar Dx9 performance and offer DX11 support for whenever you decide to upgrade.

and if your monitor only supports up to 1080i it's probably 1366X768 Native, which is relatively not very taxing compared to what a lot of people use these days.

So any plans to upgrade to Windows 7 any time in the near future?

Also what games do you want to play?

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
Not very demanding ones haha, nothing like crysis or GTA. Just a bog standard card will do but capable of things i decide to throw at it. I don't really intend on upgrading, XP works like a charm for me.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
What's your budget? I'd recommend a 4670 or 5670. All around good general purpose card and handles recent games fairly well at med to high settings.

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
Budget is literally what you just posted, in fact, the 5670 looks ideal! I assume it can still run DX9