• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Upgrade from 32 to 64 bit on same license?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I am running Windows 7 x86 that I got from the win741 site for $30. It is an upgrade license that I used to upgrade from Vista. My question is if i can run an upgrade install from windows 7 Home premium x86 to windows 7 Home premium x64 on that same license?

EvilSeph

Administrator
I'm not 100% sure anymore. But on launch, the keys were not architecture specific. Meaning you could go with 32bit or 64bit provided you had the right flavour of Windows 7.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit without doing a clean install. However the keys should work on the new 64-bit install, they keys are interchangeable with 32/64 bit versions

ChurchedAtheist

You can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit without doing a clean install. However the keys should work on the new 64-bit install, they keys are interchangeable with 32/64 bit versions

I know that, but what im wondering is if i can 'upgrade' from an install to another install using the same key.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
I don't know about this.
I had a friend that had Win 7 64 and I gave him my 32 key, and it didn't work for him (bought it from that thing way back in November for $19 bucks).
He may have copied it wrong, but he had to settle for a less legal key.

ChurchedAtheist

ok. cool. I have a few more questions:
1. Im going to upgrade my ram. How can i see the speed of my ram? Im not sure if it is currently DDR2 PC2-5300 or 6400.
2. Is the ram speed limited by the FSB? If so, how would I find it's speed?

elite

Oldie moldie
You can get some RAM info by typing dxdiag in "Run..", or in the "search programs and files" box in Vista/7.

ChurchedAtheist

You can get some RAM info by typing dxdiag in "Run..", or in the "search programs and files" box in Vista/7.

Just says that i have 3072mb ram, not the speed of it.