• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Upgrading mobo and have some questions

bnc9

Hey,
well i've had a sony vaio pcv-rs 420 desktop for close to 10 years and I was thinking of upgrading the motherboard , because it doesn't support any of the other upgrades im about to make (namely a newer video card , 2 GB or greater DDR2, and hopefully a new processor).
My question is if I replace my mobo with a newer one will any of my existing hardware work? Like my sound and network cards because im not going to be upgrading them. Also will I have to change my PSU as well?

Here are my current specs:
Video card : ATI Radeon 9200 64 mb
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.80C GHz
RAM: 512MB PC-2700 DDR
Sound: Intel (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
Network: Intel 10/100 Ethernet Controller

birdman

look to see if the bus on your new motherboard has the same slots as your old one. if so, then you should be able to use your sound and network cards

Seth

MD Party Room
Hey,
well i've had a sony vaio pcv-rs 420 desktop for close to 10 years and I was thinking of upgrading the motherboard , because it doesn't support any of the other upgrades im about to make (namely a newer video card , 2 GB or greater DDR2, and hopefully a new processor).
My question is if I replace my mobo with a newer one will any of my existing hardware work? Like my sound and network cards because im not going to be upgrading them. Also will I have to change my PSU as well?

Here are my current specs:
Video card : ATI Radeon 9200 64 mb
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.80C GHz
RAM: 512MB PC-2700 DDR
Sound: Intel (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller
Network: Intel 10/100 Ethernet Controller

If there Pci cards then that will be just fine.. What kind of network card most new motherboard todays come with a Ethernet port. Most likely yes on the PSU if you plan on upgrading your CPU...

bnc9

I decided give away my existing system and build a new one (rather than buy one) mainly because a new PSU wouldn't fit and so the only things I would need from it (my current system) would be the DVD drive and the hard drive but thanks for your help :tup:

Hardrive

Contributor
I decided give away my existing system and build a new one (rather than buy one) mainly because a new PSU wouldn't fit and so the only things I would need from it (my current system) would be the DVD drive and the hard drive but thanks for your help :tup:

Screw charity, run a Linux home server on it ;)

LocutusEstBorg

There nothing you could have kept from that except the drives. You old network and sound appear to be onboard anyway.