• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Upgrading PC

Seth

MD Party Room
Slasher said:
I'm just going off of what the specs states
Supports Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron D processors in LGA775 package
and
Supports up to Pentium 4 5XX, 6XX (EM64T) and Celeron D 3XX sequence processor.

Which I'm not entirely sure what the latter of the two means, but support for Celeron D (aka Dual core) seems promising, no?

What exactly do you suggest? Why should I buy a whole new motherboard? I don't totally know what I'm going to have to do with a new motherboard (bios?) in order to get it to work. And will all of my previous parts work with it?

EDIT - Wow, I'm stupid. It's CELERON D, not PENTIUM D. /facepalm
I guess the only option for me is to get a new motherboard then huh? Is it as simple as detaching the old motherboard and reattaching everything to a new one?

Well with a CD2 you need a better power supply...

Ram.CD drive,HDD,OS,gfx card are the only thing can be reused...

Slasher

Suck It
Vanden said:
Well with a CD2 you need a better power supply...

Ram.CD drive,HDD,OS,gfx card are the only thing can be reused...
Well that sounds like everything...right?
What's missing from that list?

My main concern is, can I simply:
- take everything out of the old motherboard
- take out the old motherboard & old PSU
- stick in the new motherboard, & new PSU
- Reattach everything else (RAM, GFX, HDD, DVD/CD drive)

Voila, everything works like it used to, other than the fact that it is now a Core 2 Duo.

Is it as simple as that, or is much more involved?

ilyace

Slasher said:
Well that sounds like everything...right?
What's missing from that list?

My main concern is, can I simply:
- take everything out of the old motherboard
- take out the old motherboard & old PSU
- stick in the new motherboard, & new PSU
- Reattach everything else (RAM, GFX, HDD, DVD/CD drive)

Voila, everything works like it used to, other than the fact that it is now a Core 2 Duo.

Is it as simple as that, or is much more involved?

Yup, you just described the process of building a pc basically. There are a few details that you missed, like thermal paste, cpu fan, etc...but it's nothing difficult. Just make sure when you have a final list you check back to make sure that everything is compatible and that you've got enough power.

ilyace

Overclocking? I wouldn't count on seeing any major performance increase from that. Generally when people overclock it's to get insane benchmark scores, or to get rid of potential bottlenecks, but I don't see it happening in your system.

Seth

MD Party Room
You cant overclock it with your current motherboard....

and if your just looking for your basic day to da things like email,web,youtube,Itunes ext... Then no not really...

Do you have a price range and such? If you need help me or Frenchb0ygenius and others will be happy to pick out your cpu and motherboard....

Seth

MD Party Room
Greyone said:
You can't really "upgrade" your computer. You have already upgraded about every upgradeable component. The most you could do is upgrade to a 3.0+ ghz pentium 4/ celeron D. And that would be practically useless.
Also have you read this? From the first page of the thread...

Slasher

Suck It
Why would upgrading it be "practically useless"?

How much of a speed increase would I see if I were to buy a higher clocked P4? Like say, going from 2.83ghz up to 3.4ghz

Sure, if you guys could provide me with a good mobo/processor/PSU set up, that would be awesome. Could the price range be within 300 dollars?

Seth

MD Party Room
Umm before we do that...

Is your dvd drive/HDD sata or IDE?

Slasher

Suck It
How can I tell for sure?

When I go to Device Manager under disk drives I see ST3802110A. After googling that, I think it's IDE.
Under DVD/CD Drives I see TSSTcorp TS-H552D. After googling, I think it's also IDE

mohaas05

Don't forget Windows is tied to your hardware and a mobo change will make it refuse to boot. SO you'll have to reinst that.

Seth

MD Party Room
I kinda need to know this before I make you a build...

Cus if there IDE(Big fat cable) then your better off build a whole new system... and we should able to build you a good system for 400... Maybe less.... With everything but the Ram and GFX card..( YOu said it ddr 2 800 right?)

Do you want a mid range Cpu right? 2.66 C2D should be more power than you need right?