• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

URGENT:Used PartedMagic off of UltimateBootCD to format a secondary hard drive, now primary drive wi

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Basically as it says, I downloaded and burned The UltimateBootCD ISO to a CD booted it and ran parted magic
(Which I guess is a linux based program I think , correct me if I am wrong)
to format my old HDD which had Windows XP on it so I could use it as a storage driver rather than a Dual boot.

Now when I boot up my computer It doesn't let me boot from my Windows 7 HDD. It just tells me to insert media into boot drive or some other shit.

So , now i'm stuck using Parted magic's Web browser with the whole shell loaded into the RAM.

-______-

What do I do?

Should I go into my BIOS and disable booting from the CD drive so there is nothing but my Win7 Drive?

Any help would be great folks

Try restoring the MBR to its original state.

1.) Boot from Windows 7 CD
2.) Enter command prompt
3.) Type "BootRec.exe /fixmbr"
4.) Type "BootRec.exe /fixboot"
5.) Type "Exit"
6.) Restart your computer and see if you can get into Windows 7
[STRIKE]7.) Install a boot manger so you can get back into your other OSes[/STRIKE]

Btw how come you didn't just format the HDD through Windows 7?

Trigun

Honestly, My original Intention was to use the UBCD for Memtest86+ and some other utilities and I found Parted magic in there and gave it a whirl, It formatted the drive so fast. So I was just like "that's great!" because most times i've formated a drive through an OS it takes forever.

So I restarted and was happy until I tried to boot __-0-

Trigun

Yeah, i'm about to do that, Will post with the results

EDIT: well tried that, and it didn't work, gave me a "Element not found error" when I used Fixboot.
FixMBR seemed to work, but I still couldn't boot into 7.
So I ended up installing it on the HDD I just formatted, which is an old Sata I drive.

Is there anyway I can edit the Boot.ini of this to include both drives??

Trigun

Phew, I ended up being able to fix it with a combination of CHKDSK ,Partedmagic(To check boot flags and 7 drive had some errors) and Bootrec.exe from the install disc.

Though, now I have two installations of Windows 7 showing up to select from when I boot(one on each drive.)

Gotta figure how to format the new 7 installation so I can use it as a storage drive without screwing up the boot sequence

Format the safe way this time, through 7. It should take care of all the bootsequencing. If not, BootRec.exe fix should work this time, seems like you had some bootflag problems last time.

Trigun

Well that and also for some reason in GParted I was getting sector errors on the 7 drive ( I assume this was because boot info was stored on the other drive maybe? or something)
And that was when I ran CHK disk twice from within the second 7 install on the old drive. Once through properties and the second time through command prompt with "CHKDSK /F /R"
Which found the errors and fixed them. Then I did the Bootrec.exe thing and bingo!

So, now I guess i'll format the old drive and go from there like you suggested

Trigun

well it still boots up fine, but it still gives me 2 Copies of windows 7 that I can choose to boot from. Obviously the other one does not boot because nothing is there(I tried)
So I guess mission accomplished?
I can use the old drive for storage and can still boot W7 from the new drive so i'm happy

MenaceInc

Staff Member
well it still boots up fine, but it still gives me 2 Copies of windows 7 that I can choose to boot from. Obviously the other one does not boot because nothing is there(I tried)
So I guess mission accomplished?
I can use the old drive for storage and can still boot W7 from the new drive so i'm happy

Use EasyBCD to remove the second entry if you want.