• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[US] Prop 8 overturned

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
I'm sure a lot of you have heard that a judge overturned Prop 8 as it is unconstitutional. [ Would post link but Im on the PSP atm. ]

What are your stances on Prop 8 and legalizing Gay marriages in California? Do you think Supreme Court will overturn Prop 8 back into effect?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm glad that judge in Cali overturned it for the time being as being unconstitutional. This will be one of those hallmark decisions once it goes to the Federal Supreme Court. It'll be right up there with Roe v Wade.

Adiuvo

This will be one of those hallmark decisions once it goes to the Federal Supreme Court. It'll be right up there with Roe v Wade.

Definitely, though I think Brown vs. BoE would be a bit more of an apt comparison.

As for gay marriage, I don't really have a problem with it. What I never understood though is why they really had to call it 'marriage.' It seems like a lot of the debate around gay marriage is if marriage is considered a religious institution, and giving a different name to it with all the same rights/protections would alleviate much of that.

I suppose it doesn't matter now, but I've always been curious as to the reason why. Short of possible discrimination since they'd be separate, I can't think of any.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Definitely, though I think Brown vs. BoE would be a bit more of an apt comparison.

I agree it would be a more similar comparison, but I was alluding to the fact that this will be an extreme subject of interest for every new Associate Justice nominee moving forward. That type of thing.

Like we didn't hear any Senators ask Sonia Sotomayor her opinion on segregation in schools, etc.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Happy, proud to be a Californian again :)
If someone truly loves someone and wants to spend the rest of their life with them, then let them get married if they want to.

Joey

Happy, proud to be a Californian again :)
If someone truly loves someone and wants to spend the rest of their life with them, then let them get married if they want to.

You shouldn't be proud, nothing chages the fact that California voted yes for this proposition. It was the Supreme court that overturned it, not he general population.

El Diablo

Why should they be able to get "married" but not call it marriage, that's still discrimination. Why is it okay to discriminate when it comes to marriage for gays and lesbians, but discrimination of race is a huge no no now. We're such a fucked up society who hates anyone that isn't us.

This shouldn't be such a big deal because they should have been allowed to marry forever. Whether or not they are married it doesn't affect anyone except them and their families so everyone else should shut the fuck up and not be in control of it.

Spiros

Maiki
About time.

But like Joey said, it's sad that the majority of Californians are against gay marriage.

Also, if anyone hasn't seen this, it's worth a watch:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_hyT7_Bx9o[/YT]

Adiuvo

Recent polls have shown the difference to around 58% for it and 40% against. People's minds have definitely been changing.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Keith Olbermann talking about Prop 8 about a year ago. Saw this on Reddit while eating lunch.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChanTFSmqao[/yt]

Joey

Keith Olbermann talking about Prop 8 about a year ago. Saw this on Reddit while eating lunch.

I had to stop watching Keith Olbermann, because he's often too hyperbolic to take serious sometimes, but when he nails something, he fucking nails it.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

This man just might be the best speaker I have ever heard..

Riorio99

I still can't believe that parts of the world simply don't accept that people are equal because they are different. I mean, smaller nations in Africa making homosexuality illegal is one thing, a disgusting, horrible thing, but the world's most powerful nation, the USA, still can't accept that equality is necessary.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I still can't believe that parts of the world simply don't accept that people are equal because they are different. I mean, smaller nations in Africa making homosexuality illegal is one thing, a disgusting, horrible thing, but the world's most powerful nation, the USA, still can't accept that equality is necessary.

Relevant

Nick

well i do think that people should marry whom they want and be happy. but i dont want it to be in cali. the last thing i need is to be surrounded by gay men :/
----EDIT----
i just lol'd at menace's link

Joey

well i do think that people should marry whom they want and be happy. but i dont want it to be in cali. the last thing i need is to be surrounded by gay men :/
----EDIT----
i just lol'd at menace's link

I hate to tell you, but you're in L.A. You're already surrounded by gay men. You do know this is about legalizing gay marriage, and not gay men, right?