• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

USB Drive problems.

I've got a problem with a USB Drive, i plug it in and Windows and Linux are unable to access it.

The Drive is a JetFlash 8GB.

When i click on the drive in windows i get this:

help1.png

And when i click on properties i get:

help2.png

I have tried formatting it, via right click>format, and also the command prompt format, both failed. I have also tried using recovery software to get the files off it, that failed.

Disk manager says this:
help3.png

Anyone got any ideas?

Adiuvo

What were you doing before this happened? It sounds like it's physically damaged, though you can try using gParted via a live CD to format it.

What were you doing before this happened? It sounds like it's physically damaged, though you can try using gParted via a live CD to format it.

Thanks, i shall try that.

I was using it to transfer files onto my laptop.

This was popping up:

gkgkgdn.png

It was annoying to i clicked scan. It worked fine after that. Then the next morning i plug it in at college and it does all that stuff.

:(

Hardrive

Contributor
Do you have any important files on it? If you don't, then I think it would be best to just repartition it.

I would just use gparted in Linux.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Have you tried another USB port/computer? I know this question is a bit obvious but...just to cover all bases :)

Seth

MD Party Room
Is the usb damaged at all?

Does windows say something like "Usb device not recognized" in windows?

Bran

Yell
You should go to the Administrative Tools section under the All Programs list and open Computer Management.

Then go to the Storage>Disk Management area within there (it's on the left pane)

You should be able to see the USB Drive listed there and you can see if the computer recognizes it's storage media, it might be a black topped box that says unused space of some shit. You can right click on there and it will have some options that might let you activate the space or format it.

If that does not work then the Drive is borked and I'd get a new one. (I'm a professional!)