• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Steam Valve: Steam Hacked, User Database Compromised

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
steam-530.jpg

Following an intrusion on the Steam forums last weekend, Valve has since discovered that the breach runs deeper. Attackers gained access to a Steam database separate from the forums, which houses " user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information."

At this time, an investigation is still ongoing. Valve "does not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked."

Moreover, there have been no reported cases of compromised Steam accounts and as such, Valve is not forcing users to change their passwords at this time.

"We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time[...]

Continue reading: Valve: Steam Hacked, User Database Compromised...

hush404

I'm getting a little fucking sick of needing to change and make up new passwords for every damn thing I join up to these days thanks to fucking hackers... That said, I'm glad I use paypal for steam and not a CC.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I'm getting a little fucking sick of needing to change and make up new passwords for every damn thing I join up to these days thanks to fucking hackers... That said, I'm glad I use paypal for steam and not a CC.
PayPal isn't much better when it comes to certain things.

Still, I am all for Hackers showing stuff to the "Man!"
and stuff. But Valve and Steam? there is nothing to gain!!

El Diablo

That's not true at all lol.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
If the title of this article had the work Sony instead of Valve, all of the above replies from you guys would 300% more hateful.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
If the title of this article had the work Sony instead of Valve, all of the above replies from you guys would 300% more hateful.

My thoughts exactly. It has been several days since the attack and they are just telling us about it now (granted they weren't fully aware of the extent of the breach at first). Surprise people aren't crying about how late the response it

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
it's always going to be a cat and mouse game, but if things like this didn't happen, then it'd make company's get lazy when it comes to security, and hopefully the people doing this are just doing it for the kicks, and not really trying to grab cc's/passwords, but who knows.

El Diablo

Steam is the one thing that I have a different account name and password for than all of my other accounts in other things simply because of how old it is. I'm not worried about the account and password part of it, but my CC info is saved in it which I am a bit worried about. I think it was for Sony too and nothing happened from that, so I'm just hoping nothing happen again.

Dan

Contributor
Has anybody heard anything on this? It's pretty annoying when we aren't being addressed on things as we should be.

El Diablo

I think the reason people aren't as up in arms about it as Sony is because their stuff (as far as we know) is actually encrypted and not just saved in plain text. Plus there's also Steamguard which means 2 separate things need to be compromised for them to get your account.

Dan

Contributor
Ah okay, that makes me feel more at ease. It feels bad being 'done over' twice by hackers.