• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Vector of objects and Segmentation Faults

I'm trying as a personal project to build a Space Invaders clone in C++. Right now, I'm having major issues with Segmentation Faults with my code.

What I'm trying to accomplish is create a vector of Bullet objects that the player fires. Each time the mouse is clicked, the spawnBullet method is called, which creates a new bullet, and adds this to the vector.

I'm not having any luck, here's a snippet of the Game class, which is designed to handle the game logic.

PHP:
/
#include "Game.h"

Game::Game() {
	std::vector<Bullet> shots;
	shots.push_back(Bullet(-10, 0, 0));
	//resetMatrix(3,8);
}

void Game::moveLeft() {
	if (p.getX() > 10)
		p.move(-10);
	else
		p.setX(10);
}

void Game::moveRight() {
	if (p.getX() < WIDTH - 10)
		p.move(+10);
	else
		p.setX(WIDTH - 10);

}

void Game::moveTo(int location) {
		p.setX(location);
}

void Game::spawnBullet() {
	//This needs to be adjusted depending on playermodel.
        //Bullet newBullet = Bullet(p.getX(), HEIGHT - 50);
        shots.push_back(Bullet(p.getX(), HEIGHT - 50));
}

void Game::process() {
	//Delete offscreen bullets
	//TODO: Fix this, one day.
	for (std::vector<Bullet>::iterator i = shots.begin(); i != shots.end(); i++) {
			if ( (shots.size() > 3) && (i->getY() < 0 || i->getY() > HEIGHT) )
				i = shots.erase(i);
				std::cout << "Erased!";
	}
	//Move bullets
	for (long i = 0; i < shots.size(); i++) {
		shots[i].move();
	}

}

//Getter methods
Player Game::getPlayer(void) { return p; }
Invader* Game::getEnemies(void) { return *enemies; }
Invader* Game::getEnemy(int indexy, int indexx) { return enemies[indexy, indexx]; }
std::vector<Bullet> Game::getShots(void) {return shots;}
int Game::getEnemiesX(void) { return enemiesx; }
int Game::getEnemiesY(void) { return enemiesy; }

The difficulty in solving this is the fact that the program behaves differently each time it's run. Sometimes it will segfault on launch, sometimes after the mouse has been clicked twice or two minutes down the track and 20+ shots later.

Just wanted to try and get some more experience eyes on this code and see what really is happening.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
you should use a debugging tool like gdb to find where it's crashing, vector itself won't cause a segmentation fault, it has to be in your code, however i don't see a problem in the code you've pasted up, i'd recommend trying to narrow it down(either gdb, or tons of output to determine where it's crashing), or put up some more code

also, shouldn't you be calling "new Bullet(x, y, z)", if you want to create a new instance of the object?