• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Video streaming question

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
This older guy I know does cropdusting, and he was thinking of setting up a website where people could see through his helmet cam as he was dusting the fields. It's kind of unique, I've never heard of anything like that before.

What would be the best solution to stream the video from his cam in the plane to a website? I don't expect a full blown solution but is there something I can get started with? The only solution I could think of was maybe a data card mounted in a laptop somewhere in the plane.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Yeah, you will pretty much need a laptop, webcam and data card of some sort. The easiest way, although not the best way, would be to purchase a smartphone (iPhone, Windows Mobile, possibly Android) and use a camera streaming application that pretty much handles everything for you. The best way in my opinion would to do exactly what you suggested. If he already has a smartphone (depending on what one) he could even us that and tether it to a laptop for cheaper alternative.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
Yeah, you will pretty much need a laptop, webcam and data card of some sort. The easiest way, although not the best way, would be to purchase a smartphone (iPhone, Windows Mobile, possibly Android) and use a camera streaming application that pretty much handles everything for you. The best way in my opinion would to do exactly what you suggested. If he already has a smartphone (depending on what one) he could even us that and tether it to a laptop for cheaper alternative.

Northern Minnesota doesn't have ATT (I'm thinking something along the lines of the Qik app for the iPhone) coverage otherwise I'd be all over the iPhone. We do have some pretty good VZW 3G coverage. He has a BlackBerry 8330 (1st Curve) but I don't think that would be adequate. The Droid might be able to handle something like that though.