• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Virtualbox 3.2 beta supports Mac OS X guests

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Done installing and I unmount the ISO.

Now I get this..was I post to type something in here???

[qimg]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8119/captur4e.jpg[/qimg]

For whatever reason, it looks like it didn't install the normal bootloader. What you're going to do is this: Go to settings, under the motherboard tab, unclick "Enable EFI", and that should let the regular bootloader take over (It did that with one of them for me, and that's what I did, as it seems to have installed the correct drivers to do so).

amrc: Try it with a pirated copy (Just to see what happens with a different version of os x), and (I should said or) if you haven't already done so, make sure you are using the fixed EFI.

Alright I give it a go again

---------- Post added 05-09-2010 at 02:42 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-08-2010 at 11:26 PM ----------

Guess I just play around with some ISO or get a retail one. who knows.

Bill

You should add "On OS X Hosts".

It's against the EULA to virtualize an OS X Guest on a non OS X host.

The EULA states that you cannot install OS X on a computer not labeled as a Mac.....

Put a Mac sticker on your comp; problem solved :D

MenaceInc

Staff Member
The EULA states that you cannot install OS X on a computer not labeled as a Mac.....

Put a Mac sticker on your comp; problem solved :D

I'm going to read through the EULA and see if this is right...if so then I've found a use for a few of the white apple stickers I have :D

---------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Just found the part of the EULA that refers to what computers you can use Mac OS X on. It indeed refers to just "Apple-branded" hardware. o.0

A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software,
you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You
agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple
Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple
computers at the same time

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I'm fairly sure the host has to have apple branding xD

It doesn't say that..it says apple-branded hardware..and hardware CAN BE virtual..while I know my argument is completely false, it's actually true. They need to be more specific, because their thing wouldn't pass in court.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Does this work with an untouched Snow Leopard ISO or what? Any specific distros that work without additional modding?

As far as I know it should work being untouched. However, I wouldn't count on it because it's not 100% stable.

However, Hazard's snow leopard ISO has worked time and time again on it for me. I'm pretty sure they all work though..cuz it emulates Mac OS X hardware (And provides drivers auto-loaded at the EFI boot for the hardware it doesn't AFAIK).

When I installed the thing in the video I completely left it alone and didn't let it pick any additional options (It didn't even install a normal bootloader). However since then something broke and I haven't been able to have it boot via (real) EFI, and I've had to boot using the PC-EFI bootloader.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Sorry for the unholy bump, but I wanted to see if I could get it working.

I get the same thing here, unchecking EFI only gives the VM a FATAL: ... etc message.

I'm using a Leopard DVD (Not Snow) and those fixed EFI fixes.

Are you using the 3.2 or 3.2 beta? Because 3.2 came out, and I'm not sure if they fixed that thing or not.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.

Figured the stable version would give me better luck.

That's strange..

Is your leopard dvd legit or pirated? I know the pirated ones install a bootloader on the MBR, so that's why I think they worked (They also installed the correct drivers for virtualbox, so that's why EFI had to be on for the DVD).

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
It's a legit disc. Thing is, I don't even make it to the installer, I think yolarry did.

Maybe I should try another distro?

Ohhh AMD or Intel?

You SHOULD make it to the installer with EFI enabled if it's Intel. MAYBE AMD, but I doubt it.