• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Virtualbox 3.2 beta supports Mac OS X guests

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I tested it out. It works quite well.

Download link: Index of /virtualbox/3.2.0_BETA2/

Phoronix said:
While Oracle has yet to put out OpenSolaris 2010.03 and they have disbanded other open-source projects formerly under Sun's umbrella, they are moving full-steam ahead with Virtualbox. This morning Oracle has put out the VirtualBox 3.2 Beta, which re-brands itself as Oracle VM VirtualBox.

Beyond changing around the branding to reflect Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems, the 3.2 Beta of VirtualBox offers experimental support for Mac OS X guests, memory ballooning support to dynamically change the amount of RAM exposed to guest VMs, CPU hot-plugging for Linux and some Windows guests, new hypervisor features, support for deleting snapshots while the VM is running, support for multi-monitor guest setups in the GUI, USB tablet/keyboard emulation, RDP video acceleration, NAT engine configuration, and support for executing guest applications from the host system.

This is quite a nice set of features, albeit some will be disappointed that there are no plans for a Gallium3D driver for VirtualBox. VT-x/AMD-V on 64-bit hosts should also provide faster performance via the new VirtualBox hypervisor features and there are various other features and bug-fixes in this release too.

The release notes with feature list for Oracle VM VirtualBox 3.2 Beta 1 can be found on the VirtualBox mailing list.

Source: [Phoronix] Oracle Builds Upon VirtualBox With 3.2 Beta

EDIT: Demo..

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A8QdKT3aqc[/yt]

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
You should add "On OS X Hosts".

It's against the EULA to virtualize an OS X Guest on a non OS X host.

VMWare has had this feature for a while now, but it's good to see VirtualBox hot on it's heels.

While it's true that it's against the EULA, it works by default regardless. I had recorded the video on Debian..

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 AM ----------

Updated to beta 2.

Changes since beta 1:
  • Provide Java bindings
  • Windows hosts: fixed failure to load VBoxDDR0.R0 on Windows 7 x64 hosts (Beta 1 regression)
  • Mac OS X hosts: fixed VBoxREM load error on 64-bit Snow Leopard hosts (Beta 1 regression)
  • GUI: Storage Settings UI: choose empty medium for CD/FD devices by default (improvement)
  • GUI: First Run Wizard is now synchronized with New VM Wizard (fix)
  • GUI: added a checkbox for absolute pointing device (USB tablet) (improvement)
  • GUI: misnamed boot disk setting in New VM Wizard fixed
  • GUI: Storage Settings UI will now sort listed attachments by storage slot (3.1.0 regression)
  • GUI: HD, CD, FD, Network device LEDs are now synchronized with device presence
  • GUI: Mini-ToolBar for Full-screen and Seamless modes should now have correct positioning, mouse-hovering and correctly update own seamless-mask in case of multi-monitor setup
  • GUI: New Hard Disk wizard size-editor now will NOT reset own value in case it is invalid allowing user to edit it (value still stricted by reg-exp). New Hard Disk wizard location-editor now will NOT allow to enter empty location.
  • Seamless: fixed regression with Linux guests (Beta 1 regression)
  • OVF: several fixes (compatibility/bug fix)
  • OVF: supports import/export of LsiLogicSAS controller (compatibility fix)
  • VRDP: allow to bind to localhost only (Mac OS X hosts; bug #5227)
  • Storage: fixed several issues with async I/O
  • Main: sometimes a new VM was created with invalid settings (Beta 1 regression)
  • Main: enabling a USB keyboard no longer disables the PS/2 keyboard (EFI access in OS X guests) (improvement)
  • Linux hosts: support VDE networking mode if the VDE library (libvdeplug.so.2) can be found on the host
  • Guest control: faster execution / retrieval of output, extended documentation, fixed some shutdown issues (improvement)
  • Linux Additions: The shared folders kernel module is now loaded on demand. Fixes loading of shared folders from /etc/fstab in Ubuntu 10.04 guests.
  • Guest Additions: new icons according to new branding
  • Guest Additions: VM information properties now are only updated if necessary (performance optimization)
  • 3D: Restoring Ubuntu Lucid VM with 3D effects hangs
  • Bridged networking: dropped delayed packet processing (Windows hosts only) (performance optimization)
  • Bridged networking: fixed regression when attaching to a wireless NIC (Beta 1 regression)
  • HostOnly networking: fixed DHCP server launch mechanism (Windows hosts only) (Beta 1 regression)
  • NAT: crash in built-in TFTP server (Beta 1 regression)

Binaries are here: Index of /download/3.2.0_BETA2

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
:O

Everywhere else I read about this always said "On a Mac".

BRB Downloading VirtualBox.

Beta 2 for me isn't working with Mac (Presumably a bug introduced or something. It's not like it says "Cannot boot", it seems that EFI is at least temp. broken), so try Beta 1 first.

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Alright, Mac OS X support officially was removed for non-apple hardware. That being said, you can still enable EFI and have it work on beta 2 onwards, so they had to do so Apple wouldn't bitch..EFI isn't owned by Apple so they can't bitch.

Also, EFI fix for Beta 2 (View topic) virtualbox.org

MenaceInc

Staff Member
While breaking an EULA isn't the same as breaking a law, it's still frowned upon because a lot of the time, the copy of Mac OS X is pirated.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
While breaking an EULA isn't the same as breaking a law, it's still frowned upon because a lot of the time, the copy of Mac OS X is pirated.

and it was. That's because that's the only way to get it on a non-windows PC. Tbh if Linux didn't exist I'd probably end up buying a copy (Not because I am omfg about it..it's just easier that way) and using I think it was boot-132.

Will it work on Windows?

edit: sorry I re-edited my post

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
It's in the program files folder.

If you downloaded virtualbox beta 2 like today they re-spun the thing with the EFI fix. If it's not working, re-download it.

Apple does make things easy though. Considering Snow Leopard costs only $50 and has no actual protection (ie product keys & activation). When you see that Windows 7 Home Basic goes for about double that, it's more convenient to actually buy the damn disc. :laugh:.

But this is excellent. Once I find time I want to put it on a VM on my main PC. Finally i'll be able to use iMovie in a more responsive environment.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
I tried this on my friend's Toshiba Satellite laptop, and I kept getting an problem similar to larry's.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
I have a (legit) snow leopard install disk (I own a mac, my friend doesn't) and we're trying to get it to work.
I don't know if there's any pre-requisites we have to set-up or anything, but it get's stuck after a certain time and returns an error.
I'll try again and post what it says.