• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

VMWare, Ubuntu 9.10, and Webcams

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I'm running VMWare on my Sony Vaio CW laptop. The host operating system is Windows 7 64-bit and the guest operating system is Ubuntu 9.10. Everything seems situated as far as sharing from host to guest goes, with the exception of the webcam. On all of the Ubuntu forums I've searched, the on-board webcam for my machine is supposed to work "out of the box" with Ubuntu.

I think my problem is with VMWare. I've looked for some fixes but it seems like all of the thread posts go unanswered. Just looking to share my webcam over to my guest operating systems through VMWare.

Hardrive

Contributor
I don't know if VMWare is capable of doing that. I know that VMWare can share USB devices, but I don't know about onboard hardware like webcams.

Seth

MD Party Room
See if the webcam works on the live cd and report back here.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
If it's a USB webcam then VMware might be able to forward it, if it's built-in..probably not.

Do what seth said.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I don't think I have the Live CD anywhere around here. At least not 10.04. One of the older versions may be laying around.

Hardrive

Contributor
If you have a spare flash drive, you can put the live image on that. There's tools in Ubuntu that will take an .iso and put it on the flash drive. Then you just boot from it. It's as easy as that.