• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

VMWare Workstation problems creating/opening VM's

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I am trying to install OSX86 using this guide (http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-os-x-snow-leopard-in-vmware-windows-7-9140301/).

When I open up the file in VMWare, it will not do anything. After I click open, I can hear my computer work, but then nothing happens. No new tab pops up like shown in the picture in the guide. I have also tried numerous times to make my own VM's, and every single time, they never will "power on." They just make my computer seem like its loading and then stop, and nothing happens.

What is going on?

Windows 7, 64 bit is what I am running

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Haven't really had much experience with VMware / VMs so won't be able to help you much here. One thing that I know is your machine must support virtualization (an option in BIOS) before anything else (but if this was the case it would tell you so). It could also be a bad file or corrupted download.. Also, just a side note, Mac OSX runs really slow in a VM within Windows so I wouldn't expect to be able to use it for anything productive other than just fooling around

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Ok, wow haha, I got it to work now. All I had to do was run VMWare Player instead of VMWare workstation and it started up nicely. Now I just have to wait until later to get the install disc from my friend.

Really? How slowly will it run, I have 8Gb RAM, AMD Phenom II x6 1035T, and Radeon 5750 graphics with 1gb dedicated RAM.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Ah silly you...

As far as how slow: I've never ran it within a VM but I've had several friends who have and all they could talk about was how slow. Maybe you'll have better luck

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I hope so, but there's no harm in trying it out haha. Do OS X install discs have a limit to the number of times you can install them, because I do not want to screw over my friend though like If I use his disc, and it's too slow to be operable so I never touch it.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
It's actually a massive coincidence that you've posted about this problem here today, when I was about to post about a related subject yesterday.

Basically, I bought a laptop for a Uni course I started in September using student finance, only to find that all the programming on the course is done in Java, on a platform called Eclipse, on Macs. Whilst the software is multiplatform and will run fine in Windows, we were told it'd be a good idea to try and get a Mac just to play around with and get used too, since we'd be spending a lot of time using them on the course.

Anyway, having just bought a shiny new HP G62-a60sa, I don't have any money to now buy a Mac, and nor any other access to one. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if I had used Macs before, but I'm completely new to them, so I think it's pretty important I do try and spend some time using them. So, what with having a laptop that just so happens (by a stoke of luck) to have compatible hardware for dual-booting OS X, I thought I'd dual boot.

Long story short, I ran into hundreds of issues, and managed to find a workaround for *nearly* all of them. The only problem I can't fix is that HP has locked the BIOS down, so much so that you can't change anything except Boot Order and Fan settings. Therefore, even though my HDD is capable of running in AHCI, (which I gather is nessecary for dual-booting OS X) I can't use it. Which is stupid, in my opinion, but apparently theres absolutely nothing I can do about it.

I'm now looking for an alternative that will allow me to use OS X on my laptop, if no one has any ideas about enabling AHCI on my HDD outside of Windows with using the BIOS, or by patching the BIOS to show these options. Which is what brings me here.
I'm hoping using iAtkos with VMWare might be a good alternative to dual booting OS X after running into problems when trying to set it up on my laptop, though all the storys like Frozen's about it running really slowly is a bit off-putitng. But, as Androidkatia said theres no harm in trying, so I guess its worth my time. I'm a bit lost at the moment with how to do it, because I read its only really meant for Intel processors, and has to be patched to work with AMD? I think it's somethnig like that, anyway. I didn't even know what VMWare software I should be using until Andriod said they were using VMWPlayer, so I guess I'll get that. Wish me luck! I'll have to tell you guys how it goes. (If not, I'll be back posting with issues setting up today or tommorow anyway. xD)

Edit: Wow, looks like another dead end. I was pretty hopeful when I saw the Apple installer load up using VMware Player and iAtkos S2, though annoyed when I realised it shows no HDDs for the installer to install too. I'm going to keep trying, but I'm pretty sure this is again to do with my HDD not operating in AHCI mode. I'll have to post back if I gather any more information or figure out how to fix this. Other than that, the programs actually running pretty fast, though I agree that there is a noticable lag in mouse clicks and typing. It's pretty bearable, though.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
That would not be good if it does not work with AMD, then this could become very painful to do haha... Unless that is I download an iAtkos that is prepatched, but I would prefer to use the legit disc that I am borrowing from my friend.

I am going to try this out later tonight, and I'll post back here if it work or not.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
It took me about 2 hours to work out that all I needed to do all along was use the Disk Utility on that bar at the top to format the Virutal HDD I created for the OS to be installed on. Works fine. Over the moon, but annoyed at how much time I've wasted. xD Oh Well. Installing now.

Edit: I guess I can see what people mean by slow. So far, its been installing for about 20 minutes, and the estimated time remaining has gone from 9 minutues, to 11 minutes, to 18 minutes. I'm going backwards here. D: Normally, I'm pretty paitient, but having wasted the last two hours and having to be up in less than 6 hours for Uni, this is starting to get on my nerves. I supposed I could always just leave it installing overnight, if needs be. I'm also not a fan of the moving progress bar. It makes it harder to tell whether or not it is actually moving. =/ (Though I suppose I should just be greatful it's still responding. xD)

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Wtf, why is VMWare so buggy? It won't let me start the OS X VM that I downloaded (link in step 1) that I was able to run fine this morning

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

This is pissing me off so much, VMWare is being completely unresponsive. I fucking might as well try dual booting

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
OK, got it now, and thanks so much for mentioning that you had to use disk utility, it works now!!!!!! I am currently installing as we speak, crossing my fingers

Ok, so it appears to have installed, gets to the restart computer screen, but then boots disc again.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

SO CLOSE UGH!

So I installed it again, because the first time I did not use any "kexts" cuz I didnt know what i was doing. This time it started, showed the apple logo, and then immediately crashed and gave this error message:
error-1.png

I followed this guide, can anyone help?
http://osx86.co/f57/install-snow-leopard-10-6-2-on-amd-t6131/

and now once a fucking gain VMWARE has stopped working. I had to reinstall it earlier to get it going, and now it will not run any VM's again, wtf is going on.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Hey. Sorry I havn't replied back in a while, though I guess it doesn't really matter, since I havn't made much progress. The only good thing is that I did actually finally get Mac Leopard 10.5.x working, after downloading a preinstalled VMWare image. Worked like a dream. I used it for a little while before attempting to install XCode from Apple, which told me I needed the newest updates, so I tried running a software update, but failed since the update disabled the VM's virtual CPU for some reason, thus completely halting the virtual machine. I also tried using a preinstalled 10.6.2 Snow Leopard image, only to find that I needed to enable Hardware Virtualization (VT) in the BIOS; yet another feature that my laptop is capable of, but is disabled. -.-" So I guess if I want to use Mac, I'm stuck with a pretty old version. D;

Though I suppose it's better than nothing, in the end. :)

Android, if you're still playing about with this, I suggest you try and find a preinstalled version, too. You can find plenty of them; either through rapidshare in jmany parts, or on torrent sites, etc. They saved a lot of hassle and worked instantly for me. They also contain pretty much all the drivers and patches you'll need, and exclude problematic Apple kexts, depending on which version you get, so if you havn't solved this yet it might be worth looking into.