• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

want to upgrade an HP pavilion a706n

CaLiRaIsEd23

sooo like everyone knows the sims 3 is supossed to be a really good game so ii am wondering if i need to buy a new computer or if it would be better to upgrade my old HP pavilion a706n ..and what parts should i be looking at if it would be better to upgrade my pc?

EvilSeph

Administrator
Hi there, please try and include more information in the future, like the following:

HP Pavilion a706n
Introduction date: 01-Sept-04
Processor: Socket A - AMD Athlon(B) XP 3000+ 2.10 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS A7V8Z-LA or HP Kelut-GL6E
RAM: 512MB (expandable up to 1 GB [2x512]) - Type: 184 pin, DDR1-333 SDRAM
Video Card: Integrated with up to 64 MB allocated video memory

For reference, here are the MINIMUM system requirements for Sims 3:

FOR WINDOWS XP
* Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
* 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* 1 GB RAM
* At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
* 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

FOR WINDOWS VISTA
* Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
* 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* 1.5 GB RAM
* At least 6.5 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content
* 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0

For computers using built-in graphics chipsets, the game requires at least:
* Intel Integrated Chipset, GMA X3000 or above.
* 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent
* 0.5 GB additional RAM

On that note, what operating system are you running, anyway?

I think it's safe to say you'll have more luck getting a new computer. HP packages are usually neutered (limited in what you can upgrade/change) and it would likely cost you more to upgrade this system than buy a new one. This is from what I can see based on a quick glance at your system's specifications...I could be wrong so wait for other responses. :)

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
sooo like everyone knows the sims 3 is supossed to be a really good game so ii am wondering if i need to buy a new computer or if it would be better to upgrade my old HP pavilion a706n ..and what parts should i be looking at if it would be better to upgrade my pc?

yeah there is no way you can even upgrade your pc to be able to play that well. If anything it is just going to chug along, and be really slow.

If you would like us to help you build a pc, or pick out a new one, we would be happy to help you :D

CaLiRaIsEd23

yea i was thinking of just buying a new one.....can anyone give me any good computers that will do a good job running the sims 3

Adiuvo

What's your price range?

My friend was asking the same question a few days ago, and I told him it would be best to build it. You can order the parts from Newegg.com and pay someone to put them together if you can't yourself. $1000 will get you a pretty good gaming PC that can play pretty much every game out today on max settings.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Even just $500 can get you a very nice setup, assuming you don't need to buy an OS and a monitor.