• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Weird problem with google chrome

angelsniper45

Look at how much cpu its eating up!! Theres about 10 or so different chrome tasks, but i only have one window open, which is exophase! So anybody know why this is happening?View attachment 8663

Moose

Meta Moose
I *think* some Chrome extensions have their own processes occasionally. Try right clicking on the Chrome tab bar and opening the Chrome Task Manager, that'll give a more detailed look at the different Chrome processes running and why.

EvilSeph

Administrator
I...don't see anything in that image? Did you mean memory usage?

angelsniper45

I...don't see anything in that image? Did you mean memory usage?

Yeah, im not a big chrome user so i dont really know what to think, its to many for 1 window and the only extension i have is adblock and noflash.

EvilSeph

Administrator
One window with how many tabs? Is flash running on the website? Chrome has a process per tab and a process per plugin.

As for "noflash", I'm interested in how that works seeing as the Chrome extensions API isn't really powerful.

angelsniper45

One window with how many tabs? Is flash running on the website? Chrome has a process per tab and a process per plugin.

As for "noflash", I'm interested in how that works seeing as the Chrome extensions API isn't really powerful.

I only had exophase open.

And for noflash, its actually great. Its the same as firefox basically, i havent noticed a difference. It still has the little f with the no symbol across it and seems to block pretty much any kind of flash. and after that, i installed evernote and xmarks. So this is normal for chrome? Damn, they need to get everything into one, although that would be a huge memory drainer.

EvilSeph

Administrator
You only had one tab open and it has that many processes? Interesting. I'm not really sure what a one tabbed Chrome looks like since I usually have 300 or so open across several windows.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Honestly - memory is a relatively inexpensive resource on modern computers. I don't foresee them changing this approach anytime soon if ever. Plus, it has the added benefit of increasing stability. If one tab locks up, the entire browser doesn't crash (usually :p)

Joey

Chrome breaks up everything into a separate process (tabs, extentions, plugins) into separate processes, so that if one fails, it doesn't bring down the entire browser.

From what I can tell, it generally takes up the same amount of RAM as other browsers if you add it all up, does it not? I remember Firefox used to use well over 200 mb for me. Full disclosure, I haven't used Firefox for over a year, so I don't know if that's changed.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Chrome breaks up everything into a separate process (tabs, extentions, plugins) into separate processes, so that if one fails, it doesn't bring down the entire browser.

From what I can tell, it generally takes up the same amount of RAM as other browsers if you add it all up, does it not? I remember Firefox used to use well over 200 mb for me. Full disclosure, I haven't used Firefox for over a year, so I don't know if that's changed.

If you have many tabs open, Firefox takes a heavy toll on RAM as well but it's difficult to compare across different configurations. It scales to how much RAM you have and how much is available for caching purposes.

For instance, RAM usage on a 6GB desktop compared to one with 1GB is significantly higher. Windows Vista and above also use a similar technique to cache frequently accessed applications in RAM.

Unless you are running low on RAM, I don't think it's a bad thing that a web browser is using lots of it. It also doesn't necessarily mean poor optimization. In the cache example - your browser is storing images/scripts into memory that would otherwise go unused for faster loading.

january39

eXo Staff
You only had one tab open and it has that many processes? Interesting. I'm not really sure what a one tabbed Chrome looks like since I usually have 300 or so open across several windows.

300 or so tabs open! how do you keep track?