• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

We're Getting Time Warner Cable

dennis96411

Cable wires just moved in to my neighborhood, and everyone is getting cable. I think we are getting the RoadRunner Standard with PowerBoost, but the only thing that's making me frown is the upload speed. 512kbps compared to the current DSL 768kbps. Does this mean uploading things are slower?

Quoted from Wiki:
Road Runner data rates vary by level of service and area. The maximum advertised speeds for these services are:

* Lite - 768 Kbps/128 Kbps
* Basic - 1.5 Mbps/384 Kbps
->* Standard with Power Boost - 7 Mbps/512 Kbps (bursts: 10 Mbps/512 Kbps)
* Turbo with Power Boost - 15 Mbps/756 Kbps (bursts: 25 Mbps/1 Mbps)
* Extreme - 30 Mbps/5 Mbps (bursts: 50 Mbps/5 Mbps)

But other things, are pings gonna be better? I can't play MW2 with pings under 150ms most of the time with the current DSL, is cable going to improve that? BTW my mom works from home all the time, and her company says she needs good upload speed so she can send files fast. I don't know, I'm all confused, this is the very first time I'm getting cable in my entire life [true]. When I was in China I was stuck with dial-up/ISDN.

Current Speed:

Adiuvo

Cable will improve your ping quite a bit provided you pick a server close to your location.

As for the upload speed, so long as she isn't uploading videos it won't take too long for them to upload.