• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennis96411

I just came back from a 10-day vacation today, and thought I plug in my external hard drive. When I did, it made clicking noises a few times. I thought it was just from not accessing it for so long. Then I went into Computer, and was unable to find it. I unplugged the hard drive then plug it in again, still nothing. It wouldn't read! Is it corrupted? All my stuff is on that! :crying:

If it is, I might have to break open the case and get the hard drive out, and try to recover it from there, because about 90% of the time when someone sends in a defect hard drive, they will only get a new one, not getting their data back [from what I see].

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Sounds like hardware failure / physical damage to the drive. Try different USB ports and different computers if possible just to rule those issues out as well.

dennis96411

Wait, I plugged it into my old laptop, and it works, but it still won't work on my new laptop.

UPDATE: Now running chkdsk through my old laptop.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Wait, I plugged it into my old laptop, and it works, but it still won't work on my new laptop.

UPDATE: Now running chkdsk through my old laptop.

I would've backed up all data before running chkdsk. Too late for that now, though. Hope everything is intact.

dennis96411

There's no way I could've backed up anything, my old laptop's hard drive is too small. Also, when I start my computer up with the external hard drive plugged in, it would show "NTLDR missing" [I had the USB devices to boot before the internal hard drive].

dennis96411

ZOMG fixed it! After some intense researching on the internet, I went into Disk Management and assigned the drive a letter, and bam! I'm back in business!

Status
Not open for further replies.