• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Western Final Fantasy XIII to feature different theme song

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I just listened to the leona lewis song and it sucks, it has no feel to it at all compared to the japanese theme.

Reminds me of FF8's Squall/Rinoa song. But worse.

Scorned

I know.

I'm just saying even if the song was in, it wouldn't make a bit of difference for me.

Just my opinion about video game music and the fact that it has never had the effect that other music can have on me. (No emotional response whatsoever except, this song blows, etc.)

Although I've found that if a game can come up with good music to match up perfectly with the game, the whole experience is heightened greatly.

For example, Bioshock. For me anyways.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I am with Abe on this one. I could care less about the music in video games, especially a RPG.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Except that was written for Final Fantasy VIII and fit the game perfectly. Plus it's a beautiful song.

So very true.

edit: I just read the silliest thing on some random website:

This is a sign that video games really are turning into a big boy entertainment business that's not just aiming for teenage boys with an excess of adrenaline. Most blockbuster movies, for instance, have music albums that accompany them and feature elements for both women and men. Iron Man is a perfect example; it had action, yes, but it also had a relatable female character/love interest in Pepper Potts and plenty of humor.

The Lewis song is also a keen acknowledgement by RCA and Square Enix that casual game players are among the fans of Final Fantasy. In many cases, there are those who simply watch the story unfold while someone else plays. This song reaches out to non-gamers (particularly women) who might be intimidated by a complex RPG title, along with fans of mainstream music who may have only heard of Final Fantasy in passing before this, let alone played a game in the franchise before.

Adiuvo

Wow, what? Instrumental genres are not taking a backseat at all, one huge genre that has a focus on instrumentals is Post-Rock. Bands like Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky are pretty huge while sparingly using vocals (and they are pretty much always treated like an instrument, never overshadowing the rest of the music).
Then there's electronic music, genres like Electro House, IDM, Downtempo, etc. etc. And these include some pretty big artists, people like Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and pretty much every Electro House artist ever have a massive back catalogue of non-vocal tracks.

You need to either A) Not make blanket statements when you're completely wrong or B) Turn off the radio and listen to contemporary music a little off the beaten track.

I'll go with Abe on this one, by nature Video Game music has to be repetitive so it can be loopable and well, that makes it boring and repetitive usually.
By instrumental I mainly meant orchestral. Bad choice of words on my part.
That's not what I meant by musical background. I know something about Adiuvo that I'd see definitely influencing the way he looks at this issue, but it's up to him to share.

What do you do in your life that has to do with music, if anything? This may or may not be a better question.

As you know, I'm in the marching and jazz band at my school and have been involved in music since roughly 2nd or 3rd grade. My main instruments are the trumpet and clarinet, though I can play multiple to some degree of proficiency.