• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Where are you from?

Slasher

Suck It
I live in Manhattan, in New York City. I can't say anything that isn't already known about this city.

I don't really know anything about it other than that cowboy guy that dances downtown, and the WTC tragedy. Come on, give me the inside scoop

explosions

I live in the middle of nowhere (in Ohio). Literally, I'm living in 1998. I have... *cringes* dial-up. I get 26.4 kbps web speed on a good day. We either can't afford it or it isn't available in our area.

i feel ya bro. its like $100/mo for 5.0 Mbp/s internet here. Sooo.... we just settle for the 1.5.

Scorned

Deer Park, Texass. [Right beside Houston]

The temperature down here is like a women in her period, people are rednecks for the most part [somewhat racist], and we are literally surrounded by power plants, so that gives an image of the pollution. Other than that, its your average crowded, boring city.

And these are the people that live there:
0033DB25-F784-4326-8144EB442179D211.jpg

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
NSCC Akerley

2nd year Culinary Arts (hence my username)

Cool man. I drove past the NSCC in Middletown the other day.

I know some people who go to school in Halifax. Does the name Tom Wiley ring any bells?

What is it like up there?

Halifax is pretty nice. Has a really beautiful downtown and nice waterfront with lots of events going on.

eldiablov

Contributor
20070621_d0118.jpg

About the worst looking shot I could find of my local area. It's a pretty fucked up place.

Canning town, East London

Bran

Yell
This is the "mall" in the city I live in.
MontgomeryWardsLot-13602.jpg

This is the mall in the city bordering my city. (The one I'm actually FROM, just not living there right now.)
511423.jpg

Scorned

Wow. You live in Deer Park, Texas. I practically live next to you..In La Porte, Texas.

And you're right, it's a boring as hell city.(Both yours and mine)

Haha, yeah you live near me...

Houston, and all surrounding cities in general, blow. Although the mall there can be somewhat interesting at times.

twelve

I'm not dead
@z357x: Those two pics remind me of Mallrats going from their usual mall to the "dirt" mall. lol

Here's some info on where I live:

Lightwater Village Website
[fieldset=From official website]Lightwater village, in the county of Surrey, England, is within easy reach of many places of interest.

To the north, Windsor Castle (a residence of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth), with the River Thames nearby and Windsor Great Park, is some 8 miles distance. Slightly closer is Ascot Racecourse, and scenic Virginia Water with its beautiful valley gardens. The town of Guildford, 9 miles to the south, boasts an imposing Cathedral on a hill top, plus many places of historical interest.

Public transport links to London are available from nearby Bagshot or Sunningdale Stations, with a direct link to the main central London terminus, Waterloo, reached within 45 minutes travelling time.

London Heathrow Airport is 20 miles east-north-east, reached via the M3 and M25 motorways, or the A30, whilst London Gatwick Airport is some 45 miles south-east, via the M3, M25 and M23. The village is a quarter mile from the M3 motorway, providing easy access to the south coast of England, with the New Forest and port of Southampton, some 70 miles distance.

Camberley, our nearest town, is just 4 miles away and has a 'Main Square' development including all the major High Street shops and several stores. Camberley also has good sports facilities - tennis courts, and a Leisure Centre with swimming pool. Also, a theatre, cinema and substantial library.

Lightwater has its own Country Park, with some 100 acres of mainly heather covered ground, complete with "Nature Trail", together with a Leisure Centre and Visitors Centre. At the latter venue many nature events are held.

The village has full medical facilities and veterinary surgery, its own Library, Post Office and Bank, a range of shops and petrol station. [/fieldset]

Lightwater - Knowhere guide
The knowhere guide is entirely user submitted. I've gone through and picked out bits and pieces (some of it is out of date but still gives you and idea of what things are like).

The Best Things
  • It's close enough to towns and London to get their benefits, and far enough away to avoid the mayhem.
  • the "lightwater massive", the lack of attention the old bill don't take, the odd fight.
  • taking 15 minutes to walk from one end to the other, really small. lots of hills though.
  • Village atmosphere, everyone knowing everyone else and their business. Getting busted by Mrs Hearn for skiving and her telling my mum! Auntie Cathy and Auntie Beryl's Nursery School. Lightwater Primary School. Sunday afternoon walks up to High Curly, rain hail or shine. Feeling safe

The Worst Things
  • Snobbery and Tory-New Labour voting by Estuary English speaking people who think their sh*t don't stink. That is about 20% of the populace. Traffic in the mornings.
  • metllers, old people fuss allot, old bill, not enough buses, it takes ages to walk along dem roads wen ya drunk
  • everyone knowing everyone
  • It's full of old people. It's becoming like a big retirement complex.
  • why did they expand Budgens and shrink the car park. There is no public toilet in Lightwater anywhere. Before the petrol station was taken over by it's current owner the loo there was available to the public.
  • Everyone knows everyones business and the majority of those people find it hard to keep their noses and opinions out of everyone else's business. they didn't build a swimming pool with the new LLC, such a shame.
  • Getting busted!

Hookup Spots
  • The Lightwater Country park is a good place on a friday or saturday night
  • The chip shop and the bus stop is where the young folk hook up. I like chips.
  • Most people hang about by any of the following:- The Country Park, Budgen's, and occasionally The Briars..
  • The country park at weekends and the avenue, where u can go and get stoned wiv the local boys and gurls! o and the bench next to alldays
  • some say lightwater is a crappy little village but i think its kinda cute! it has all the little things you need in the village although i live at the other end of ambleside road so its a long long long walk to the bus stop! Everyone who works in budgens are my mates so its always nice to have friends nearby. Yeah, i have to addmit that there are a few pikeys but hey, i can live with that! p.s the crosly club may be an old man's pub but you're always garranteed a bit of a laugh down there!x
  • The bench outside Alldays, adventure playground in the country park
  • The Briars Centre playing field is a good place to go on a Friday and Saturday night.
  • Outside Budgens is usually the place to find the up and coming yobs of Lightwater.
  • Lightwater Country Club, The Lakes

Cringing Cult of Celebrity
  • British hip hop artist 'Blufoot' lived on the Guildford Rd, went to Lightwater first school & Hammond, i know coz i did too, his name is Wayne hahaaha
  • Tim Hawes (formed the band FRA in the 80's, which was a local phenomenon) but went on to NAME the Spice Girls, and write for The Suagarbabes, Hearsay and many, many more. Has even written a couple of number 1 hits.
  • FIVE
  • Brian Blessed. Robin Nedwell used to live here. Five (boy band), did until they were forced to move by disgruntled residents who thought their music sucked a fat one. Craig Logan (Bros) lived here from 7 until his teens, and went to the Primary School. Bob Herbert (ex Five, E17 and Spice Girls manager) also lived here; he sadly died. The Spice Girls, shortly after forming, briefly rehearsed at The Crossley Club.
  • Ken Monkou who used to play for the mighty Southampton FC used to live here, and ALLEGEDLY nobbed some local girls. Ian Ward, Surrey and England cricketer lived here when he wasn't at boarding school. I should know, I went out with his sister. The former Labour MP Stuart Randall also lived on The Briars Estate, but I'm sure none of you actually care.

Cafes and Coffee Shops
  • jj's - ridiculously overpriced but the best microwaved bacon baquette and weak coffee in lightwater

Pubs(no surprise the section with the most written :p)
  • Red Lion: Has really improved since Karen and Chris have taken over. You couldn't get nicer people! They put so much effort into finding out what their customers want. They've arranged karaoke nights, curry nights, book-signing with ex-boxer nights, entertainment and now a really delicious menu (even though it is a bit expensive). If you've got any ideas for things to do, it's actually worth talking to them.
  • Red Lion - been under new management since Feb 2006 - now a brilliant place, two 50" plasma screens and one 42" for sport - all footy shown including Prem Plus games, and rugby. Excellent food, bar staff are good fun - especially mad cap Zoe who you will find there at the weekends. Oh and my favourite bit - loads of leather couches for kicking back and relaxing with a bottle of wine and your mates. Good music played too - I think they have Napster cause they take requests when its not too busy ! At last - a decent watering hole in Lightwater.
  • Red Lion - Changed a lot since its take over by a Landlady called Donna, A really nice pub with staff that look like models and a mixed crowd. Food is really good there too 5*!
  • the leisure centre pub rocks. aside from the fact that friday night is free pool and that has attracted a group of chav's
  • Red Lion. Used to be good, went poo, slowly improving. Not terribly cheap.
    Crossley Club, Cheap, bit like a workies, and with a crowd mainly of both ends of the age spectrum.
    CIU. As above, but WORSE.
    Leisure Centre. Pick of the bunch, without a doubt. Meet the legend that is Ken 'Ferck Off' Cornwall
  • the red lion, but why the hell have they painted it blue!???
  • You appear to have neglected to mention just how exciting the bar above the Lightwater Leisure Centre gets. This is my regular drinking hole and there is never anyone there! At anyone time you can expect to meet the following: Me, Ali (pint of Stella or Worthingtons) Raphone (Pint of Stella), Big Jess (Pint of Heineken), Karl (Anything alcoholic, though preferably Stella), Kyle (Pint of Stella), Nick 'Shorty' Long (Bottle of Orange and Passionfruit J2O), Rem Child (Can of Coke), Chris (Pint of Guiness), Debbie (Half a Lager), Sheera (Glass of White Wine, though she's giving up the booze and the fags....Still always smokes mine though), Alyson (Can of Diet Coke). Please be aware that there is a pool table, but hard hats must be worn if Rem Child is playing, as he is a health risk. Why not come down on a friday night and experience the sheer excitement of watching VH1 Classics, and listening to myself and Big Jess shouting "VH1 Classics: Smooth by day, Rock by Night!!!" every time we see the logo, before we get so pissed we fall off our chairs.
  • The bar in the revamped Leisure Centre is good fun for pool and darts, but do they serve acne cream at the Bar!!

Food
  • There are two chinese takeaways, an indian takeaway and a papa johns pizza. But if you're monged, and absolutely desperate for a kebab, there are a few places in Camberley that will deliver for a small fee. And if you are a regular customer the one in Frimley may well drop you off some B&H too. They did for me.
  • the lightwater chippy!!

Computer and Games Shops
  • er no
  • Not likely

Arts, crafts and such
  • lovely graffiti on the childrens play parks
  • crafts- if you visit the local "lightwater massive" they wil show you how to "skin up a joint" or "rob shops up wel good" thats an art, rite?
  • craft fair that stopped a couple of years ago. sold the same crap on every stall. oven gloves and spice racks.
  • Umm. well there is the 'Unique' car hi-fi shop