• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Which is superior?

Perfect-skillz

is a "average" gaming PC

or...

A PS3(which is proven more powerful then a 360 or a Wii but is limited by software and some hardware restrictions)

the "average" gaming PC cannot cost more then $1000 and the PS3 as everyone knows costs $399, so it's a good price point for either, considering the power of the PS3 and price.

[HIGHLIGHT]some[/HIGHLIGHT] minor system spec of the PS3 is
RAM: 256 MB x2 (512 MB)3.4GHz at atleast 24.5 GB/s
GPU: 500+MHz 25.5+ GB/s floating point: 1 teraflop
CPU: Cell broadband Engine, 3.4 GHz 8-core 1+ teraflops
(their maybe some details that I missed or slightly screwed up on, but it's would i remembered from the launch of the PS3)
PRICE: $399

But remember this is to compare graphics and load times and gameplay, NOT MULTI-TASKING OR RUNNING APPS, ETC.

Adiuvo

If you're only comparing graphics and load times, a gaming PC is superior. The PS3 doesn't use some godly tech that makes it superior to all else even three years later.

Also, topic moved. Smart talk should be used to more philosophical questions. Though, PC hardware discussion may not be the best place for this either since it involves both =/

Perfect-skillz

interesting.....one of my techincal relatives said that the Average gaming PC would well out do a PS3 in most senses......but i'd like to know what the PS3 would out do the PC in ???? he has a nice setup at his home, but even on his 3 46" SONY XBR LCD HDTV's for his PC it didn't look as nice as my PS3 and loaded slower too(same game, COD4), he never junks up his computers and as a matter of fact he fixes PC's for a living so he know what he is doing and talking about!
oh and his setup total is over $6,000(but he is always upgrading it)

EDIT: THANK YOU FOR MOVING IT Adiuvo I wasn't sure where it went

twelve

I'm not dead
the "average" gaming PC cannot cost more then $1000 and the PS3 as everyone knows costs $399, so it's a good price point for either, considering the power of the PS3 and price.
A $1000 PC will get you a Core2 Quad, 4GB DDR2, Geforce 9800 (probably better) and a 7200rpm SATA II HDD easily.

A setup like that will outdo the PS3 in every way possible. Graphics will be the hardest thing to judge, both have things that can't be done on the other but everything else the PC will blow the PS3 away.

PS3 load times are painfully slow thanks to the 1x bluray drive and pitiful amount of RAM. PC loads times are quick due to hard drive installs (on fast hard drives) and HUGE amounts of RAM.

Having said that I would say $1000 for a PC is well over average. And it's no wonder the PS3 gets destroyed.

Hardrive

Contributor
With a decent gaming PC, you're going to be able to run your favorite games at higher resolutions wither better framerates. Take, for example, the Team Fortress 2 from the Orange Box. It plays terribly on the PS3, you see jagged edges, frame skips, and general lag. It isn't even played at a decent resolution. But, with a PC, you can run that same game much better, at twice the resolution, with now lag.

Of course, you have the higher pricepoint of the PC, but for some, it is worth it.

The PS3 is better for a few limited tasks, most of them being hard number crunching (Folding@Home, clusters, etc.).

Perfect-skillz

thanks guys, now i'm understanding why the PS3 isn't as good a PC!!

maybe the reason for the slower load times on my relative's system maybe due to a background process and the not so good graphics on his system are possibly due to the 1080P isn't the native res of the PC with all this awesome hardware.

I think I got it now!!!! wow I would have thought that sony finally could destroy the average PC with a console, but I guess not....but I do see that most of the time the PS3 is ahead of PC on the folding at home.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well it can destroy a 400 gaming system for sure.OR the average PC from bestbuy.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
thanks guys, now i'm understanding why the PS3 isn't as good a PC!!

maybe the reason for the slower load times on my relative's system maybe due to a background process and the not so good graphics on his system are possibly due to the 1080P isn't the native res of the PC with all this awesome hardware.

I think I got it now!!!! wow I would have thought that sony finally could destroy the average PC with a console, but I guess not....but I do see that most of the time the PS3 is ahead of PC on the folding at home.

Could also depend heavily on the harddrive that your relative has, it plays a big role in loading times ;)

When the PS3 came out there wasn't an "average" gaming computer that could compete with it (you would have to have spent mucho bucks at that point). However as prices come down in the PC market and things get faster we rapidly passed the PS3 and 360

Maattt

Well judging the console and PC at the same Price then im pretty sure the console would beat the PC.

You need to spend alot more on a PC.

judging them without price is like comparing a bicycle and a lamborghini, and asking which one would be faster

The only probably with PC's is compatibility issues, with everyone having different hardware etc..
whereas every console has the same hardware.

LocutusEstBorg

The only advantage the PS3 has is you sit far away from the screen so it runs at a crappy resolution. Some games aren't even 720p and are much lower like GTA4. So you have games with "good" graphics running smoothly on weak hardware.

If you were to run anything at 640*480 or generally anything other than the native resolution on your PC LCD it would look awful. Hence you need a more powerful card to run at the same apparent level of image quality.