• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Which PC is better?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Depends on your needs. If this rig will be used for gaming then the second configuration without a doubt. The HD5870 is twice as powerful as a 5770, if not moreso.

blirt

ok because i will also do some school projects but the ram and proccessor handle it. Im just wonder, is 12gb better then 8gb with better graphics card.

Adiuvo

Short of video or heavy image editing, you'll never end up using either.

Also, how much are you paying for this? Chances are it'd be much cheaper to build it yourself if you're so inclined.

blirt

Short of video or heavy image editing, you'll never end up using either.

Also, how much are you paying for this? Chances are it'd be much cheaper to build it yourself if you're so inclined.
im paying 1250 as the max. What do you mean by short of video or heavy image editing?

Adiuvo

Oh, that's not to bad for what you're getting. You might also want to go to ECollegePC and build the same setup to see what the price is at.

As for what I meant, things like Photoshop with large images are the only things that are going to use a majority of the RAM you're getting. Not that it's a bad thing to have more.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Unless you are working with very large documents (images that are several hundred MB in size) there will be no difference between 8GB and 12GB in Photoshop.

blirt

oh, i just found out the the cpu can turbo to 3.3 ghz. Thats good right? Should not thatkeep me playing games for the next 6 years before i go to college?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
oh, i just found out the the cpu can turbo to 3.3 ghz. Thats good right? Should not thatkeep me playing games for the next 6 years before i go to college?

Well, maxing out games 3-6 years from now is a bit of a stretch, but it'll certainly be able to run them.

blirt

ok thanks, also,, can this desktop be upgraded with a better graphics card and cpu and ram many years from now? like in 4 years?

Adiuvo

Graphics card yes, as for the CPU, it depends on the motherboard Dell ends up giving you. There's no overclocking on Dell motherboards BTW, if you were interested in that as well.

elite

Oldie moldie
Obviously, Intel surpasses AMD in CPU developing. Also, the i7 gets a lot of good reviews emphasizing it's importance for heavy duty PCs.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Well, AMD CPU's beat Intel on price/performance. If you're looking a decent cheap CPU, AMD are usually better. For the high end though where money isn't an issue, Intel far surpass what AMD offer. If you can afford it, go for the i7

LocutusEstBorg

Graphics card yes, as for the CPU, it depends on the motherboard Dell ends up giving you. There's no overclocking on Dell motherboards BTW, if you were interested in that as well.

Depending on the series, Dell just rebrands Maximus/Rampage Formula boards for gaming PCs.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

but dell said that it could overclock?
Which is better for gaming? i7 or AMD

Makes no difference anymore. Both are overpowered for today's console ports.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Depending on the series, Dell just rebrands Maximum/Rampage Formula boards for gaming PCs.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

Makes no difference anymore. Both are overpowered for today's console ports.

hehe, +rep
Pity it's true