• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Why don't PC developers care about achievements?

tyl0413

So i've started to notice a trend looking through friends Xbox profiles. Games like Mirror's Edge, Crysis, Wolfenstein (2009), Prey (2006) for example do not have achievements on PC despite them all releasing on Steam at one point. Done further research and found that a big chunk of 7th gen games that released on PC lack achievements despite Steam supporting them since 2007. Meanwhile on console i tried my hardest to find a game without achievement support and i couldn't find any, Quake 4, GUN and all the sports games that launched with the 360 all have them from 2005 so do the weirdest indies. Nowdays it's better, and the majority of AAA games releasing on Steam and Origin and a few others do have achievements but there still Battle.nets and Epic Stores out there with games like the new COD or Control without achievements in 2020 despite them having it on console. Does anyone have any idea why is that on PC devs don't really care to implement achievements into their platforms/games meanwhile literally everything on console has achievements, if they just don't care why do they still bother with it on console? I get it this is really a first world problem that some games don't have some popups but still it's weird to see that they're neglected on PC for basically no reason. Is there a community made platform for PC games that don't have official achievement support like retroachievements is for old console games?

FredCasden

Battle.Net aka Blizzard games do have achievements, however they don't allow easy access for sites like Exophase to sync up with them. Epic is so desperate to make their store a Steam alternative they choose to launch without achievement tracking being a thing (and that's a direct paraphrase of what they actually said)

tyl0413

Battle.Net aka Blizzard games do have achievements, however they don't allow easy access for sites like Exophase to sync up with them. Epic is so desperate to make their store a Steam alternative they choose to launch without achievement tracking being a thing (and that's a direct paraphrase of what they actually said)

But that's only in game not platform wide like on Steam or GOG