• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Will MS have mercy?

WillyVWade

I have an XBOX360 elite that's not reading discs, but I've only got warranty left for 3 rings. Anyone tried just sending it off anyway?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm pretty sure they test it for the red rings at the repair center before processing your new unit. The DVD drive on my first Elite shit the bed and they repaired it for free because it was under one year from my purchase.

So if your beyond a year and not a RROD, I'd just call to see what they will offer you. If there is a fee, you can always try to force the red rings by overheating your console.

WillyVWade

If I do towel it, how long will it take afterwards to keel over?

Abe: I have a spare 360 that works (along with a core that also won't read disks, DVDs work fine though, but the warranty is void.) So if they want money the other 360 should be fine.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'm not sure, I've never had to try it.

I also keep a spare Premium around in another room as backup too.

Cryox

Bro.
I sent mine in without red rings to get it fixed, mine had E74 though. When i sent it in, i just said it had RROD, and they fixed for free. But i now think they did that because about 1-2 weeks later, MS released something saying they were now fixing E74 for free...

Just RROD it yourself and send it in

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
I just recommend sending it in and if you ever buy a new one pay for the 3 year warranty

LocutusEstBorg

What I didn't know about the different errors warranty. My friends given his back thrice already in under a year. Once for drive not reading and twice for 3 ring RROD. They just took it no questions asked. They don't repair, they just give new ones.

Can't believe you buggers have "spare" 360s!!! I'm afraid to buy even one because I'm going to mod it obviously and I won't have warranty then.