• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 being retarded

El Diablo

Yesterday I turned on my computer and after about 5 minutes I got an error with my lcdmonitor application for my keyboard and my computer froze and stopped responding to anything.

Now anytime I try and turn on my computer windows 7 hangs whenever it's trying to load. If I try and boot normally it hangs on the loading windows screen. If I try booting into repair it hangs on the loading bar and it endlessly goes back and forth loading. If I try booting in safe mode, windows hangs after loading all of the drivers and stays there.

I got it booted yesterday by getting into repair mode once and doing a system restore, now the piece of shit is just freezing no matter what I do. The only way I can get it past any of the fucking loading screens is to unplug all my usb ports, and even then it still freezes the second the windows bar is done loading for repair mode.

What the fuck....please help.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Have you tried using the Windows DVD and repair from there?

Sounds like your lcdmonitor app might have f* up some system files that the backup wasn't able to restore.

El Diablo

The title of the thread was actually going to be something along the lines of "stupid fucking cunt (windows 7)" but I figured if I tried to keep it civil it might increase the chances of people reading the thread.

I've been searching around on google and found a lot of threads on other forums with people having the same exact shit as me. Windows freezes after loading the same exact file as me in safe mode, same shit when trying to boot normally, and same shit with trying to repair and there have been absolutely 0 solutions and 0 replying from Micuntsoft on their forums about it so I don't know wtf to do.

Yesterday I was able to actually get into the repair shit and have windows and I quote "Attempt to repair files and if it is sucessful when Windows restarts it will load correctly", gee, thanks a fucking lot. Now it just freezes once the damn bar is done loading to go into the repair menu and I can't even try to do a system restore or whatever again.

And no Kerza not yet, I'm trying to find my windows disk but that's the only thing left I can think of. I managed to get Vista to boot from my old hard drive that I'm on right now but even this was giving me problems and didn't want to start up so I'm not sure what is going on with my computer, it seems like it kills anything I put in it ffs. I'm going to try hooking my other hard drive up and booting into vista again to see if I can even access the hard drive that windows 7 is on and if so I think I'm just going to have to try and back up what I can and reinstall >.>.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It seems you covered pretty much all the bases except repair from DVD. If that doesn't work I'm pretty sure you will have no choice but to format and/or reinstall...

Still it seems like a silly issue that could have been avoided if you didn't use the other software that caused it...

El Diablo

Why would I not use lcdmonitor? It's an a logitech driver and program for my keyboard and multiple other keyboards by them. There are god knows how many people using logitech keyboards with their programs. It never gave me any problems in the past 3 years that I've been using it and none of the other people out there with this problem mentioned a logitech keyboard and their software so that might not even be what caused it if there are other people with the same problem without that program.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Just saying xD

I have two wireless keyboards (one microsoft, one logitech) and I have never installed all the software they want you to install to make all buttons and whatever and whatnot work because I find they work perfectly without the software - at least in Win7.

I just suggested not using it because I find they're pretty useless and just hog some RAM, and apparentely that's where the issue started. Not saying it's what caused it though...

Still it seems like a silly issue that could have been avoided if you didn't use the other software that caused it...

Ehh, you need this software to make the LCD display work most of the time. They cost a bit extra these keyboards, it would be silly not to take advantage of the features they offer.

Just reminds me of a situation with LIBUsb, which killed off all USB support. Luckily I had a PS/2 mouse adapter.

I don't have anything much to add on the problem at hand. You can, maybe install a fresh Windows 7 on the existing partition; it'll move the old Windows installation to C:\Windows.old and give you a fresh install to work with.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Ehh, you need this software to make the LCD display work most of the time. They cost a bit extra these keyboards, it would be silly not to take advantage of the features they offer.

Just reminds me of a situation with LIBUsb, which killed off all USB support. Luckily I had a PS/2 mouse adapter.

I don't have anything much to add on the problem at hand. You can, maybe install a fresh Windows 7 on the existing partition; it'll move the old Windows installation to C:\Windows.old and give you a fresh install to work with.

I also had that libusb.dll issue... I think it was when I was trying to set up the PS3 Controller as a PC USB one..

El Diablo

I've pretty much given up now >.>. I had a second hard drive in my computer with an old install of Vista on it and I got this to boot and yesterday I was able to browse everything fine on my Win7 HD but now when I try I can't get into the program files folder and it's saying the folder is corrupt or some shit.

I think I'm just going to back up what I can from it and do a fresh install. It just pisses me off to no fucking end when Windows 7 can just fucking die and stop working for no reason and there's tons of posts about it on Microsofts website and they didn't respond or do shit to try and help.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I've pretty much given up now >.>. I had a second hard drive in my computer with an old install of Vista on it and I got this to boot and yesterday I was able to browse everything fine on my Win7 HD but now when I try I can't get into the program files folder and it's saying the folder is corrupt or some shit.

I think I'm just going to back up what I can from it and do a fresh install. It just pisses me off to no fucking end when Windows 7 can just fucking die and stop working for no reason and there's tons of posts about it on Microsofts website and they didn't respond or do shit to try and help.

That's why I use Windows solely when I want to play something... Rest of the time I'm usually using OSx (which works 10x better than Win7 even on a non-mac laptop) for writing and college work and most of the other stuff.

But I'm guessing that's if it's a prominent issue, they'll fix it... in due time xD

El Diablo

I feel like I should just go back to XP since any of their newer OS's seem to have more problems than the old one.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Easy fix, boot using any windows disc and enter recovery console then run 'chkdsk'.

Your harddrive filesystem is corrupt.

Meaning I got half the solution right xD I should have thought of that though... Makes perfect sense tbh and the symptoms fit... But even if he uses chkdsk will the filesystem work? Because important system files might be deleted (if they're in the corrupr part).

I'm just asking because I remember when I used chkdsk to fix my filesystem most of my data was deleted (on a 1TB HDD)

El Diablo

Well it wouldn't hurt to try since I have nothing right now and will end up formatting it anyway most likely.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I feel like I should just go back to XP since any of their newer OS's seem to have more problems than the old one.

If it's a hardware issue then reverting to a 9 year old unsupported OS won't help, especially if your hard drive keeps messing up.

You could try using Recuva when on Vista to get back any really important stuff from the hard drive but it's not guaranteed to work.

El Diablo

The hard drive is pretty new so I hope it's not a hard drive or hardware problem = \.

I'll try that program out thanks.

El Diablo

Well, I tried running a chkdsk on my bad hard drive while I could boot from Vista and the thing ran for about 3 hours and only was at 37% finding a ton of errors and me being the lazy impatient fuck I am restarted my computer. When Vista came back up I couldn't even see my other hard drive in device manager. I turned my computer off and only plugged that hard drive in and took the Vista one out, then it turns on and starts booting 7 and goes into a chkdsk and the thing took like 5 minutes and all of the sudden it booted into Windows 7 and has been working fine.

After it decided to work again I ran some RAM tests and a video memory stress test and it came up with about 40,000 errors before I stopped it so I got an RMA form and hopefully my shits sorted out now >.>.