• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 Discussion [Screenshots Enclosed]

eighty4

Ive been running it for months now and im quite pleased. Aside from a few compatibility issues which is normal with a new OS as well as minor bugs and such im still happy with it so far

At least it doesn't have any of the problems Vista had. Trust me.

So after 5 months of use...I change the taskbar to never combine. I don't see the point of this really. I never fill the taskbar on combine (24inch screen here) and sometimes I forget that I have windows open making me so confused. also not so many programs supports jumplist that I like yet...maybe I should just give them more time.

idk..I just like the XP/Vista taskbar better.

Moose

Meta Moose
I've got my W7 taskbar set up so it acts like Vista, basically. The default taskbar is so bloated and pointless.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've got my W7 taskbar set up so it acts like Vista, basically. The default taskbar is so bloated and pointless.

I find it hard to navigate using the new superbar default's setting so I too switch to the small icons and text as soon as I can. I like to see what I have open in a nice, organized way and the new method just seems to add more chaos to the mix (icons of the same size alongside opened apps and difficult to navigate through multiple windows of a program, say explorer for example). Would be nice if I had an option to exclude certain programs as combining. I also wish they had the old quick launch bar (I know you can get it back, but it's a pain).

I also recommend people try out AeroPlain as a small adjustment to the window style (need to patch the theme files first in windows): AeroPlain for Windows 7 by ~garbanzox on deviantART

It's a much cleaner aero-look and its those subtle differences that made the most impact (basically the removal of the "glassy" affect which looked a bit cheesy to me anyways)

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo

Actually, it seems better to me. showing just the icons saves space. Having every icon I would have on the desktop sit in the taskbar is nice. frees up the desktop. as far as the fact that it is twice as thick, I solved that with autohiding it.

James.

User Not Found
Actually, it seems better to me. showing just the icons saves space. Having every icon I would have on the desktop sit in the taskbar is nice. frees up the desktop. [HIGHLIGHT]as far as the fact that it is twice as thick, I solved that with autohiding it.[/HIGHLIGHT]
Protip:
captureou.png

Moose

Meta Moose
Actually, it seems better to me. showing just the icons saves space. Having every icon I would have on the desktop sit in the taskbar is nice. frees up the desktop. as far as the fact that it is twice as thick, I solved that with autohiding it.

Hm, I never really understood the idea of a clean, spotless desktop. It's made for placing shortcuts, etc. on it so why not use it for just that? :p

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Hm, I never really understood the idea of a clean, spotless desktop. It's made for placing shortcuts, etc. on it so why not use it for just that? :p

I do. It's all for temporary documents. and, in addition, apps are easier to find. scanning one row at the top of my screen that can be viewable while the document i am working on is still displayed seems easier than scanning multiple rows of icons for the program im looking for.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

I just like the look of a clean desktop and since I almost always have a window open I hardly see mine. I find the start menu's search function great for running any app that is not pinned to my taskbar.

Hellcat

Contributor
My desktop always suffers some "overload", i.e. it's always so full there's barely space for additional stuff/icons *lol*

Got apps there, docs, temp stuff (d/l's before sorting them away)....

I also like the "show desktop" feature for that.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm suffering a weird issue =\

I can't save documents in the "Documents" folder... everything goes to the public documents folder...

EvilSeph

Administrator
I'm suffering a weird issue =\

I can't save documents in the "Documents" folder... everything goes to the public documents folder...

You're most likely trying to save documents into the Documents LIBRARY, not the folder. If this is the case, you need to select the Documents sub-library within the Documents library to save it in the correct place.

is it possible to disable Aero Preview on my taskbar? I remember disable it on Vista but it seems that I cant disable on Windows 7.

is it possible to bring back the classic close box? instead of holding shift?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
You're most likely trying to save documents into the Documents LIBRARY, not the folder. If this is the case, you need to select the Documents sub-library within the Documents library to save it in the correct place.

It just errors and saves into the public documents folder.