• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 Discussion [Screenshots Enclosed]

Moose

Meta Moose
So I just finished installing Windows 7 Beta Build 6801.

Once I unlocked the taskbar it made the experience much nicer. The new taskbar is much more user friendly and I like that every application/window has it's own little pop-up menu that has options individual to that application/window.

Anyway, here are some screenshots for you to look at:

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG
This one shows me moving the taskbar items. You can re-arrange them (order-wise) which is a feature I really like and think XP/Vista lacked.
8.PNG

9.PNG

10.PNG

11.PNG

The gadgets are really glitchy when you try to move them. Sometimes for no reason they will refuse to move and just flash wildly when I attempt to. Other than that, no complaints so far.

You will also notice the Show Desktop button on the right hand-side of the taskbar... not sure what the point of this is, seeing as there is also a link to the Desktop in the Quick Launch.

I had only been using it for about 5 minutes before I took these, so there is probably more to it than I have yet discovered. If ya'll have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Chathurga

What would you install without me Moose? ;D

Yeah this is shaping up to be awesome and will finally make me move from XP forever. Some of the things I really dig are being able to arrange icons on the taskbar (can't believe this wasn't a feature before), the window 'peak' thing and the windows shake minimizer.
I love how people are already starting to say they're copying Apple. I think at this point I'm copying Apple because I walk and so does Steve Jobs.

Also, those screenshots were done inside a VM so there are none of the fancy GUI tricks turned on, VMs can't works with graphic cards well.

Moose

Meta Moose
Yeah, it wouldn't let me enable the 'nicer' graphical interface.

Some of the features make me think... why weren't they added in before? Just seems stupid.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I've been reading some of the new features on other sites, and besides the movable taskbar items, I don't like Windows 7 so far. I like my Vista.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
my big thing for 7 is low resource needs. if it runs good on a low end netbook at release, then i'll prob go for it.

Vee

Sorry for being thick but..whats new?

I mean, besides moving around icons, what does it do thats useful and good?

Interface wise, it looks worse then Vista.

Moose

Meta Moose
I think it looks much nicer than Vista. Rather than having a ton of useless features, like Vista does, Windows 7 runs faster on lower-end computers than Vista ever could.

Chathurga

The only thing I outright don't like so far is how the taskbar is also the launch bar. For regular users that is going to be a very handy feature but for us power users, not so good. Thankfully it can be turned off.

Moose

Meta Moose
You can remove any of the icons you don't want on there by right clicking and selecting 'Unpin from taskbar'.

twelve

I'm not dead
The new taskbar sounds like a complete rip off of OSX's dock. Which is a good thing because it works so well.
Moose said:
I think it looks much nicer than Vista. Rather than having a ton of useless features, like Vista does, Windows 7 runs faster on lower-end computers than Vista ever could.
Aside from User Access Control I don't see that Vista has that many useless features. It's resource heavy due to the interface but aside from that it's a great OS.

Moose

Meta Moose
twelve said:
The new taskbar sounds like a complete rip off of OSX's dock. Which is a good thing because it works so well.

Aside from User Access Control I don't see that Vista has that many useless features. It's resource heavy due to the interface but aside from that it's a great OS.
I didn't find one feature of Vista useful... but I guess that's just me.

Hardrive

Contributor
I dunno. The new taskbar seems almost as intrusive as the taskbar in KDE, being about 4 times larger than it should. IMO, the taskbar should be unobtrusive, it shouldn't take up half of you screen. Yes, I realize that I'm exaggerating, but you can all see where I am coming from.

Whatever happened to Microsoft claiming they would shrink the core to 20 MB? Is the installation still like 15 GB?

twelve

I'm not dead
I stretch my taskbar to double height anyway (stops my quick launch taking up so much width). so that doesn't bother me.

Moose

Meta Moose
Hardrive said:
I dunno. The new taskbar seems almost as intrusive as the taskbar in KDE, being about 4 times larger than it should. IMO, the taskbar should be unobtrusive, it shouldn't take up half of you screen. Yes, I realize that I'm exaggerating, but you can all see where I am coming from.

Whatever happened to Microsoft claiming they would shrink the core to 20 MB? Is the installation still like 15 GB?
Honestly... it doesn't take up much room. Bear in mind, my resolution was set to 800x600.

Chathurga

Hardrive said:

Well it is only 10 pixels higher, not much.

Hardrive said:

The Beta's iso is only 2.72gb (32 bit), have to get moose to saty how big it is installed though.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I don't really like the taskbar either

xp/vista one are just fine for me
--
hopefully the public beta will be a bit better

twelve

I'm not dead
Greyone said:
I don't really like the taskbar either

xp/vista one are just fine for me
--
hopefully the public beta will be a bit better
I don't think MS do betas outside of the MSDN for operating systems. The Release Candidates are available to the public tho.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Hardrive said:
they had a build running on an Eee, which has what, a 4gb ssd?