• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 Discussion [Screenshots Enclosed]

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
I like Vista, but it seems like Windows 7 is looking to be the user-friendly experience that Vista should have been.

AndyMosh

2 Cups Win, 1 Cup Lulz.
Windows 7 is going to be faster than Vista, more user friendly, have better features, and won't be a fail by MS, i'd call it the new XP.

Oh and DirectX 11 is gonna be sweet :) (For Vista and 7.)

Speaking of DirectX, Direct3D WARP10 looks pretty cool. It allows software rendering of Direct3D, so it's good if you have a kick-ass CPU but a crappy GPU. It's slow on its own though, but those with DirectX 9 Graphics cards can use it to run DirectX 10. With a Intel Core i7, they manged to get Crysis running at ~7 fps. that's CPU alone remember.

Source

EvilSeph

Administrator
Here's a video of the new bootscreen, what do you guys think?
[yt]HbJ6sEGTt5I[/yt]

EvilSeph

Administrator
It wasn't turned on/noted as important. You can enable a better looking one in Vista by using the no gui boot flag but this prevents you from seeing any boot events like chkdisk and so on.

birdman

this beta can be vm'd correct?

if so, ill be checking it out in a few hours.

Remember tho, vista was awesome during some of the early beta's

EvilSeph

Administrator
Just curious, but since when have you run across *any* software that can't be VMed?

Vista was awesome and still is. The only reason people think it sucks is because public relations and marketing for it weren't as well handled as they could have been. Everyone's anticipation was built up and then totally shut down when the features that excited them were pulled.

Seth

MD Party Room
Microsoft Vista Ultimate gets the (PRODUCT) RED treatment - Engadget

Everyone hated vista for about 5 things.
1.The 6 year wait time...After 6 year you think they do more then add a nice gui...
2.Horrible launch for hardware support.
3.The naming method(Over 7 of them)While OSX has 1....
4.Games...Lower framerate and such...and dx10 disappointment
5. There wasent much to upgrade for from xp..

But everything got fixed... and after people loved the first true 64 bit os.

Mister Chief

The first beta of windows 7 ( All previous releases are alpha ) will be given out to attendees of MSDN Developers conference on or before January 13th.

Source.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
how you download window 7?
And 2nd can I go back Xp if I don't like it with all stuff I already have on it?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I will prob update to 7 when it comes out, if the machine i am running at the time has drivers for all it's stuff available for 7.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
It's in alpha you know....
sorry, I didn't know I don't try keep up with these things.
Looks good from what I heard so far, I might buy it on launch day.
Original post edit-
So its possible download it? or official?
edit- also anyone buying window 7?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo

dont know. won't know till its out.

Looks good from what I heard so far, I might buy it on launch day.
Original post edit-

Most testers [STRIKE]either run in a VM (like moose) or[/STRIKE] dual boot with something else, you'll find that the alpha builds are purely for testing purposes and hence are rather unstable.

As for whether or not I will buy it, I am unsure. It is too early in the development cycle to decide, certain features may be axed or removed, which all will factor my decision.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Incorrect. Testers are required to run the builds on test systems. Virtual Machines do not produce proper testing results.