• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 OEM

Lezard Valeth

I was thinking of buying the OEM version of Windows 7 Professional x64 since its way cheaper than the retail version ($139.99 vs $299.99), with the only noticeable differences is that the OEM CD-key is tied to the motherboard it was installed on, and there is no free tech support.

Is there any other differences between the two, like how it installs or performs?

coyotebean

Only difference in license agreement, OEM license is not transferable to "another PC". And I think OEM disc can't be used to upgrade existing Windows.

Hellcat

Contributor
The only real difference is the "no free support" and it doesn't come in shiney colorfull box, but usually only a simple envelope.

Other than that, all is the same.
Using an OEM version myself here.

LocutusEstBorg

You can install it on a new PC. They have no proof that you've changed your motherboard. Just tell them you "upgraded" your PC.

coyotebean

License wise, the OEM Windows is "married without divorce option" to the motherboard.

Q: Rather than purchase completely new PCs, my organization performs in-place upgrades to the hardware on many of our computers. We often times only replace the motherboard, processor, and memory. Since the COA is still on the case and the OS is still installed on the hard drive, this computer is still licensed, right?

A: Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your computer and maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer." Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from one computer to another. Therefore, if the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer has been created, the original license expires, and a new full operating system license (not upgrade) is required. This is true even if the computer is covered under Software Assurance or other Volume License programs.

Hellcat

Contributor
Maybe this paragraph is as voided as the "May ONLY be sold with HW" in countries where you can buy OEM versions WITHOUT HW? (Like Germany)

coyotebean

Maybe this paragraph is as voided as the "May ONLY be sold with HW" in countries where you can buy OEM versions WITHOUT HW? (Like Germany)
I see, didn't realize much thing is possible.

Hellcat

Contributor
I see, didn't realize much thing is possible.
Yeah, in Germany the forced bundeling with HW (the "only to be sold with HW" thing) is against the law :p
So they are forced to sell it WITHOUT HW :D

Which gives a nice, legal and cheap of way of getting an official Windows copy.

So, I'm not sure about the "can install on another computer" - but my guess is it's OK then.... but I'm not really sure.