• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 RTM

xploren

Contributor
If it's from Microsoft then its not piracy...

EDIT: Like I mean that its on Microsoft.com, I don't mean that any software by Microsoft in exempt from copyright laws.

But TechNet requires a subscription to Microsoft, and is technically paying for it. If you don't pay for it and try to download, it's probably illegal.

Sliderkk

Oh, ok then... But one could argue that if I could just go to the leak URL and download it then its technically free.

explosions

Oh, ok then... But one could argue that if I could just go to the leak URL and download it then its technically free.

You don't have activation keys. (Not by downloading it, anyway.)

Bill

Who uses keys these days? It's all about the bootloader. I've got fully activated RTM :)

Also, why keep RC if your going to loose everything next year? Better to cut your losses IMO.

Bill

That can be patched with little to no effect on valid copies. Keys, on the other hand, pose a problem to Microsoft.

What are you talking about? The only way to fix SLIC emulation is to make SLIC no longer usable, and that would break compatibility with all current OEM machines; I'd call that a big effect. Keys, on the other hand, are blacklisted all the time.

explosions

What are you talking about? The only way to fix SLIC emulation is to make SLIC no longer usable, and that would break compatibility with all current OEM machines; I'd call that a big effect. Keys, on the other hand, are blacklisted all the time.

And you think this emulation is 100% bulletproof? There's no simple way to tell it's being emulated? Keys can't be blacklisted by range, is my point. Sure, one at a time, but that takes ages.

Bill

And you think this emulation is 100% bulletproof? There's no simple way to tell it's being emulated? Keys can't be blacklisted by range, is my point. Sure, one at a time, but that takes ages.

Of course not. But if they were going to fix it, they would have done it years ago.

Btw, once you get your key, how do you plan on activating Windows?

Bill

Windows 7 was in the works before the crack was abroad for Vista, IIRC. ;)

The crack was used widely after the original activation cracks were stopped by SP1. I didn't think 7 was worked on around SP1, but I'm not sure.