• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows Discontinuing Service Pack 2?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Hey everyone,

I was curious as to if this applies to non-genuine copies of XP?

I may be wrong here but I don't think Microsoft want to support pirated copies of XP either way :p
Best advice I can give ya is move to SP3. You'll have until 2014 then.

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Well, my thing is:

If it's pirated, then there shouldn't be a prob with...... Nevermind, I understand it now. ._.

God, if I switch to SP3, I might as well go back to Vista. :/

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Well, my thing is:

If it's pirated, then there shouldn't be a prob with...... Nevermind, I understand it now. ._.

God, if I switch to SP3, I might as well go back to Vista. :/

SP3 > SP2. It even contains native support for like SATA and stuff.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I've heard it gives trouble with certain programs etc.

You've heard wrong. I can't name one thing that didn't work right.

It's like when people say they don't want to use 64-bit because of compatibility. I have yet to have one single thing that does not run perfectly 100% on 64-bit than on 32-bit, same thing with SP3 and SP2. In fact, things that will run 100% on SP3 may not run on SP2 because SP3 has newer stuff, and Windows has a track record of good binary compatibility (Like, no real changed API, just added onto).

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Service Packs are just big collections of updates, which also include core Windows updates. There is, literally, no downside. It's comparable to OS X's increments, like from 10.x.2 to 10.x.3.

There's a little more to Service Packs than that, although I don't see any reason not to upgrade to SP3, and if they stop support for SP2 I don't blame them, they need to do it at some point and they've carried XP on longer than they originally planned for

I never try windows xp 64 bit

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

larryr

First cup of MfM
While 64bit versions of Windows do have some compatibility issues and stuff, most of it stems is from software and hardware developed before the time where 64bit was a reality. Today, developing stuff for 32bit only is like building a car with no safety measures. It just won't do. It would be stupid not to.

Windows is heading towards 64bit. Its simply more powerful. In Windows 8, or Windows 9 at the latest, 64bit will be dominant, with a 32bit build for less powerful PC's.

Ohh, and about your pirated version of XP. There is the chance that if you install SP3, you might lose you crack or whatever you did to activate Windows. But, there is also the chance you may not. Do whatever; its piracy. I don't care. If it screws up your Windows, you'll just download another anyway.

Adiuvo

Didn't XP 64 bit suck anyways?

There's no reason not to move to SP3, and there's no reason not to move onto Windows 7 either. Hint hint.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Didn't XP 64 bit suck anyways?

There's no reason not to move to SP3, and there's no reason not to move onto Windows 7 either. Hint hint.

Nah, it's not that bad. It's pretty much XP..just a bit faster. I can't notice any problems with it.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Sythril....just please upgrade and stop making ridiculous threads like this.

Also, you can't keep expecting all your pirated software to work correctly or for a long period of time