• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows Live Messenger does NOT WORK on Windows 7

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
WTF! I can sign in but when i start a conversation the program crashes. I have tried it on like 3 different builds of winows 7, and everytime its fucked up.

I'm running the RC (Build 7100) and it's fine here. From memory, I use the 'Install Live Essentials' or something like that to get messenger. Did you do the same?

EDIT: My version is Build 14.0.8064.206. What's your MSN Messenger's build? Go to Help > About Messenger to find it.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I actually cant even get it to install at all anymore, it goes to the preparing installer screen, and then it just loads forever.

But I got the installer from the live essentials button from the srart menu

nvm, its installing now, had to do it from firefox to get it to start

now its installed, but it wont sing me in and i get an error code

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM EST ----------

I got it to load my contacts finally. and I have the exact same version as you do, and when I double click somebody to start a convo it freezes completely and i have to end the task through task manager

James.

User Not Found
Mine worked fine
When you installed Win7, did you upgrade or did you do a clean install?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
worked fine for me too here.

maybe it's something to do with your local network perhaps?

worked fine for me too here.

maybe it's something to do with your local network perhaps?

I was thinking that too. Can you try running something like Pidgin? That will determine if its a messenger-specific problem, or something to do with your hardware. I suspect this, seeing as its crossed multiple installs of 7.

shikamaru

Senior Member ~ Trolololo
post the error code. if it is something like 8007005, it is to do with rights and credentials of the user and what files can be touched (user settings)

LocutusEstBorg

My Windows 7 is buggered too. Some programs crap out during installation or don't work after installation (Office, Adobe stuff). But it works fine on my dad's Windows 7. I can't recall doing anything that could have caused this.

I'm gonna reformat when I upgrade my comp in a couple of weeks so I don't have to activate one more time.

twelve

I'm not dead
My Windows 7 is buggered too. Some programs crap out during installation or don't work after installation (Office, Adobe stuff). But it works fine on my dad's Windows 7. I can't recall doing anything that could have caused this.

I'm gonna reformat when I upgrade my comp in a couple of weeks so I don't have to activate one more time.
Run memtest (off an Ubuntu Live CD for example) before formatting. Installation's crapping out are an indicator of bad RAM.

I had 2 x 1GB of DDR400 a few years ago (before DDR2 took off) and used to get installations fail all the time. The only time they'd work was after a cold reboot when the working parts of memory were still clear. I booted an Ubuntu Live CD and ran memtest and within seconds there were errors everywhere. Changed the RAM back to 2x512MB and all the problems disappeared.

LocutusEstBorg

Run memtest (off an Ubuntu Live CD for example) before formatting. Installation's crapping out are an indicator of bad RAM.

I had 2 x 1GB of DDR400 a few years ago (before DDR2 took off) and used to get installations fail all the time. The only time they'd work was after a cold reboot when the working parts of memory were still clear. I booted an Ubuntu Live CD and ran memtest and within seconds there were errors everywhere. Changed the RAM back to 2x512MB and all the problems disappeared.

I have Memtest86+ installed as a bootsector in NTLDR so I can launch it with the F8 menu. I had stress tested recently for 2 days straight suspecting hardware instability (OCCT/LinPack with maximum and minimum memory setting), that should be almost as good.

I can't run actual Memtest right now since my PC is currently headless and I won't we able to see the output (or start Memtest for that matter). I sold my GPU last month to get a 58xx or a GT300 and I'm only accessing my PC through RPD.

EDIT: Windows 7 has its own Memtest in the F8 menu too, but it doesn't show in detail what its doing.