• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows not genuine?

Bulgar Trev

problem.jpg

I got this pop up earlier today, just wondered if i should be worried about it?

twelve

I'm not dead
If you've paid for genuine windows then yes it's definitely something to be worried about.

Bulgar Trev

I didn't pay for it, it was installed because Vista basic didn't have english on it (so they say)

This isnt gonna randomly stop me from using my laptop until i buy genuine is it?

WillyVWade

I didn't pay for it, it was installed because Vista basic didn't have english on it (so they say)

This isnt gonna randomly stop me from using my laptop until i buy genuine is it?

It might cause the random shut downs, waiting times to log in/out and other general gimping.

WGA is the biggest pile of crap I've ever know, It's SO easy to get around that it's not worth putting on and It only ever seems to cause problems for genuine customers.

I've had a W7 RC1 machine start telling me it's counterfeit... IT'S FREE.

Bill

Should have used the Chinese OEM bootloader. Microsoft is never going to mark it as Non-Genuine(I'm sure they have a good explanation?)

unlockingsky

I got this pop up earlier today, just wondered if i should be worried about it?

take it back to the store and have them fixed it. if the problem keep persisting and they choose not to support you, threaten to take legal action w/ microsoft. if you had pirate software on your pc from yourself, might as well pirate and fix it yourself.

.........................I've had a W7 RC1 machine start telling me it's counterfeit... IT'S FREE.

just go to the website and get another free key =) no brainer workaround =)

Bulgar Trev

take it back to the store and have them fixed it. if the problem keep persisting and they choose not to support you, threaten to take legal action w/ microsoft. if you had pirate software on your pc from yourself, might as well pirate and fix it yourself.

Probably won't get chance to, im leaving in less than a week.

If it does cause problems should i get Windows 7?

unlockingsky

If it does cause problems should i get Windows 7?

windows 7 is not official but their beta is free. good till 03-2010. im on win 7 beta and it is better than vista but still eat more memory than xp.

heres the link to the beta. i think it is worth it until you decide to purchase win7
Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program

btw. adobe suite and ms works fine. it has a great software backword compatibility dating to xp. but im not sure if it will be available when it is official

Bill

I'd be careful when deciding to go to the RC. When you want to upgrade to a regular install of Windows 7, you must do a clean install, and you will loose all your data(unless you back it up of course).

or you can pirate a OEM B.I.E. copy. I had one for 2 years and still says I genuine!

Also check and see if your processor can support 64 Bit Vista. That will really make it better.

once you go OEM. you never go back.

Bill

OEM copys only work if your system is OEM for that OS and if you use a KEY for your hardware, its technically not pirating then...

Where in the world did you hear that from? OEM will work on any computer as long as it's an official Microsoft OEM install disc/disc image and not some piece of crap from Dell.

lainlives

Where in the world did you hear that from? OEM will work on any computer as long as it's an official Microsoft OEM install disc/disc image and not some piece of crap from Dell.

i meant the OEM part :s you would need a key for your hardware.

Bill

Activation? If you pirated it, you use an activation crack (best one currently is a boot loader with Chinese OEM certificates).