• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows partitioning?

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
I don't want to dual boot Ubuntu on a Windows partition. Is there any way of just installing Ubuntu?

{Please move if necessary}

James.

User Not Found
Do you mean to say you *just* want to use ubuntu?
If so, back up your data and install over the partition you're using in the ubuntu installer.

If you want to use both, you have to split your existing partition. You cant just make space (Unless you buy a new drive and use both)

If you mean to say you're just putting the disc in after windows has booted, you need to switch off your pc with the disc inside. Then in your bios, change the boot order to boot from the cd drive first

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Alright. Thanks James, and Menace.

Oh, another thing: I have Vista, would it be smarter to switch to XP then do so?

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Well. I just got done talking with a friend about it, and I've changed my mind. I'm going to dual boot with XP.

From what he says, Ubuntu can't play Windows games. So.. I'm going to use the XP partition for gaming and Ubuntu for online stuffs. Or, I could just use XP

What would be best?

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Well. I just got done talking with a friend about it, and I've changed my mind. I'm going to dual boot with XP.

From what he says, Ubuntu can't play Windows games. So.. I'm going to use the XP partition for gaming and Ubuntu for online stuffs. Or, I could just use XP

What would be best?

If your PC is remotely modern it doesn't matter. Go 64-bit, regardless of XP or Vista, and you'll be quick, assuming you can support it.

Install XP first, leave a blank partition however big(This depends on the size of your partition. Since Ubuntu can read Windows partitions, your ubuntu partition should probably be smaller because you can use the windows partitions for Storage), then install Ubuntu(MAKE SURE you manually do the layout, follow tutorials, then use the blank space for ubuntu.

This way you'll have GRUB out of the box.

Also, make sure Windows is the highest partition(Like, the first). This way windows will use that partition for it's bootloader, then just strap on the MBR bootloader, which can be overwritten.

James.

User Not Found
If I were you, I'd go up to Windows 7, not down to XP.
It really depends, are you just wanting to use Ubuntu for the novelty of dual booting? If so, there's not much point.
If you've got another motive, it might be better to install both.

m3xic4ndiy3i

XP and dreamlinux to me , in dualboot.........seven pro or ultimate is a good option too

why DreamLinux? :Easy Install Applications
You can install several programs that are not included on Dreamlinux due to legal constraints. Most of these programs are free although not Open Source. Find Easy-Install in your desktop to download and install these applications.

give a try

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
XP and dreamlinux to me , in dualboot.........seven pro or ultimate is a good option too

why DreamLinux? :Easy Install Applications
You can install several programs that are not included on Dreamlinux due to legal constraints. Most of these programs are free although not Open Source. Find Easy-Install in your desktop to download and install these applications.

give a try

You can do that in nearly every Linux distribution (At least up-to-date ones such as Debian, Ubuntu, or Fedora).

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Well, at first I was wanting to use Ubuntu for downloads, etc. But, he brought up the point of just use 7 or XP.

Oh, and switching OS's wont void the warranty of this laptop, will it? D:

James.

User Not Found
Nope.
You're not opening the insides and tampering and that's allowed under most warranties.
And seeing as most computer shops are almost screaming at everyone to upgrade OS's, it would be backward for them to allow the warranty to be voided over an os change...

m3xic4ndiy3i

im agree, but Sythril as i can see, needs a powerfull ready to go distro, with all most popular video and audio codecs installed, capable to surf by example youtube with no problems.....nothing xtra to install (even in the alpha 4 version u can convert video to different format with one or two clicks...)...that distro can make an easy partitioning of ur HD.....but anyway ubuntu is one the best (xubuntu m favorite).

u got VISTA? i have a easy solution for that dualboot option u want......install one xtra HD (or make an extra partition on ur HD).....then install any linux distro on that (only in that xtra space...no grub, no lilo please).

then in vista install easyBCD 1.7.2.......this is a boot manager ...next ...(please read the docs from the app and easily u can have 2 or more OS in ur PC)

easyBCD is compatible even with windows seven, so , if u can , install seven (alot better than vista) and be happy with linux and m$

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Well, I'm gonna try and downgrade to XP, because it's a whole hell of a lot better than Vista. Then again, anything is better than Vista.

UserUnknown

eXo's Resident Brony
Then why are people having such problems with it? I've had so many problems with it on my end. When I had XP; I had no problems, whatsoever.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Then why are people having such problems with it? I've had so many problems with it on my end. When I had XP; I had no problems, whatsoever.

Because after enough fuckups you get to the point where you just don't screw up anymore.

I use x64, so that could be why (Actually, definitely is, when using 32-bit I had an incredible amount of issues). Try switching, if you can. It's faster (Much) and literally everything works on it without flaw.