• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[WIP] Zombie Outbreak

Slasher

Suck It
SO here's a little something I've been kinda working on for a while now. I started this project around May (2009), but obviously haven't dedicated very much time to it given the state it's currently in. I dedicated a lot of time initially creating the groundwork for it, but hadn't really pursued it after that.

Basically the idea for this game is that you need to do whatever it takes to survive an onslaught of zombies. They keep comin', and you keep picking up guns, ammo, health, and keep killin'.

At its current state, this game-in-progress is NOT to be considered in any way an official release... I just want to share with you guys what has been done so far and so that I can hear what the initial thoughts about it are.

Anyways, here it is

112520091086.jpg

Controls:
X to Shoot
Square to reload
Analog to move around
Select to restart test level

Objective:
As should be expected, this game in it's current state is not a very functional game. It's just a display of some of the things that have been completed so far. There's a few weapons lying on the ground that you can pick up and shoot zombies with, but that's about it. Zombie's do not injure you since your player is invincible. Zombie's also continuously respawn indefinitely. Once you are out of ammo, hit select to restart the process since no guns or ammo spawn.

I'd also like to mention that there are several things which aren't being displayed in this download such as the fully functional level loader with automatic collision detection, as well as basic zombie AI enabling zombies to navigate their way around walls, etc.

Download
http://upload.team-duck.com/users/Slasher/ZombieOutbreak.zip

I'm just mostly looking for some feedback. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Slasher

Updates:

For those who care, yes I am still working away on this. Not as much as I'd like to, but I'm still making some progress.

Added a 3d zombie model, improved the overall lighting so things look a little more darker and eerie, and started work on the actual premise of the game.

I've decided how the game is going to work. There's going to be a safe spot in each level where you can buy guns and ammo with the points you earn by killing zombies and returning 'vaccines'. Vaccines are going to be scattered throughout the level, so your goal is to pick them up and bring them back to your safe spot all the while killing zombies along the way. Vaccines are particularly heavy though so they cause your player to walk a lot slower and make you vulnerable to the much faster zombies. The safe spot won't be accessible unless you bring a predetermined number of vaccines back to it, so that forces you to go out and look for them.

120720091131.jpg
Still working away here

Enjoy

42600658.png

ss2t.png

A_Nub

Developer
Other than, added weapons, what about this is different / better from mine? Maybe, we could join, mine is full 3D, with quite a bit sexier graphics ;)

Slasher

Suck It
Other than, added weapons, what about this is different / better from mine? Maybe, we could join, mine is full 3D, with quite a bit sexier graphics ;)

No, I'm not interested.

This is full 3D as well in case you didn't bother trying it out. I wasn't aiming for "sexy graphics" when I began working on this. It has a pretty basic particle emitter, but that's about it. All the additional jazz can be added later. I find your comment rather insulting actually.

PS Could somebody please move this thread to the "PSP Homebrew Development" section for me, thanks.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
No, I'm not interested.

This is full 3D as well in case you didn't bother trying it out. I wasn't aiming for "sexy graphics" when I began working on this. It has a pretty basic particle emitter, but that's about it. All the additional jazz can be added later. I find your comment rather insulting actually.

[HIGHLIGHT]PS Could somebody please move this thread to the "PSP Homebrew Development" section for me, thanks.[/HIGHLIGHT]

All set.

A_Nub

Developer
Well, it looks to me as if your zombies are a rectangle that it parallel to the ground, sure it may be in 3D space, but it is still a 2D object, since the object itself has no depth. I never said yours was not 3D either. And I never said you were aimed for good gfx, I was just stating, if you wanted, a better game could be made if we joined the strong points of each of ours. And it was not meant to be insulting, I do not even see how it is insulting, all I did was ask what was different and if you wanted to join, and I was stating my gfx, as a hint to I could work more on the graphics side, whilst you can make features. Or we could have split it 50-50. But clearly you are not interested.

Sorry if you were offended, I was only trying to make a friendly gesture.

Slasher

Suck It
Well, it looks to me as if your zombies are a rectangle that it parallel to the ground, sure it may be in 3D space, but it is still a 2D object, since the object itself has no depth. I never said yours was not 3D either. And I never said you were aimed for good gfx, I was just stating, if you wanted, a better game could be made if we joined the strong points of each of ours. And it was not meant to be insulting, I do not even see how it is insulting, all I did was ask what was different and if you wanted to join, and I was stating my gfx, as a hint to I could work more on the graphics side, whilst you can make features. Or we could have split it 50-50. But clearly you are not interested.

Sorry if you were offended, I was only trying to make a friendly gesture.

The zombies, player, and weapons are currently sprites that are parallel to the ground. There is however 3D model loading, as represented with the floating 3D health powerup... that doesn't mean the funcitonality isn't there,it's just that I just don't have any models to load right now lol. I need to either a) get somebody that can make models for me, or b) make the models myself. As I mentioned before though, this is just a WIP - I haven't even attempted to make it look like a pretty game just yet.

What I found offending was the 'mine looks better, yours is obsolete, why are you making this - let's use mine instead' attitude. Maybe I got the jist of your message wrong, but that's what I picked up from it. Sorry if I did... it was 4 in the morning when I read your comment, cut me some slack lol...
I haven't tried yours out (I am aware it exists), so I don't know what it's like. This project is more or less a learning experience, plus I like to craft my own games to my liking anyways as far as gameplay goes. If you want to work on the gfx side of things, shoot me a PM, the screenshot of your game does look pretty beautiful!

A_Nub

Developer
I did, not intend for the 'mine looks better, yours is obsolete, why are you making this - let's use mine instead' I was just trying to make a point that our games are practically the same, and we should work together to make it a sexier, higher quality game.

What info do you need in the pm? My game is running on a super early build of my game engine. I am quite good with rendering optimizations and effects, I am only barely able at modeling, but I could give it, give me a style and what needs to be done and Ill see what I can do.

Slasher

Suck It
Alright, I'm pretty busy this weekend, so once things have clear up I'll send you a message and we can talk about it.

~~

Thank you for the comments so far people, but has anybody -actually- tried it out yet lol? Maybe I'm a little late releasing things to a scene that's slowly fading away. Oh well, that's not gonna stop me from wanting to complete this project :) I have a vision, and I want to see it through

Slasher

Suck It
For those who care, yes I am still working away on this. Not as much as I'd like to, but I'm still making some progress.

Added a 3d zombie model, improved the overall lighting so things look a little more darker and eerie, and started work on the actual premise of the game.

I've decided how the game is going to work. There's going to be a safe spot in each level where you can buy guns and ammo with the points you earn by killing zombies and returning 'vaccines'. Vaccines are going to be scattered throughout the level, so your goal is to pick them up and bring them back to your safe spot all the while killing zombies along the way. Vaccines are particularly heavy though so they cause your player to walk a lot slower and make you vulnerable to the much faster zombies. The safe spot won't be accessible unless you bring a predetermined number of vaccines back to it, so that forces you to go out and look for them.

120720091131.jpg

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
I like the general idea for the premise you've outlined; it will make for a unique spin compared to other zombie games.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The visuals look great. I like what I've seen so far, nice job Slasher.

Adiuvo

Wow, that looks fantastic. I can't believed I missed the update for that long. Nice job!

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Looks pretty dam good. The zombies atm though remind me of the aliens from Earthbound. Loving the highrise apartments. :D