• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 xbox slim power button shutting down xbox.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
hey guys, i'm having a problem, and can't seem to get any results on google, so time to ask here.

basically my slim keeps shutting off randomly, and each time it does, i'm fairly certain it's because it thinks the power button has been pressed. It makes the power noise, and then shuts off. I've tried cleaning it, and it keeps doing the same thing, sometimes it'll work for hours without any problems, other times, i can't go five minutes without it just shutting off

o, and as i write this, the xbox just turned itself on......and shut off....again=-\

Robby

Los Doyers!
Have you thought about sending it in? Maybe the warranty might cover it.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Have you thought about sending it in? Maybe the warranty might cover it.

it's defiantly a possibility that i'll have to send it in, but i was hoping someone might know someway to fix this, without having to wait 2 weeks for it to come back.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Just to clarify but is the xbox completely separate from anything metallic? I had a foil crisp packet turn mine off one time.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Just to clarify but is the xbox completely separate from anything metallic? I had a foil crisp packet turn mine off one time.

yep, nothing's metallic near it, but just to check, i'll move it to the other side of the tv, and try there.
edit: alright, moved it elsewhere, only thing it's sitting on is wood, and the problem is still persisting.

dan369

it's defiantly a possibility that i'll have to send it in, but i was hoping someone might know someway to fix this, without having to wait 2 weeks for it to come back.

Honestly, unless your warranty is up i wouldn't risk opening it up to take a lot. Because you say it powers up & then switches off, it's probably not an issue with the power supply.
I had this issue with the original 360, no red ring, just the switch on, sometimes i could play a bit then it would just switch off. *But that was always due to the over-heating, my xbox was out of warranty, so i opened it up, followed a simple tutorial on youtube to fix it. I think the guy is called glixsy or something like that.
But because this is a slim, with it's improved design, its unlikely that it's overheating.

Personally, i'd just send it back. I mean with my old xbox, i had the red ring, sent that back in for 2 weeks, worked fine then again for a couple of months, another red ring thats when i did the DIY :p.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
yep, nothing's metallic near it, but just to check, i'll move it to the other side of the tv, and try there.
edit: alright, moved it elsewhere, only thing it's sitting on is wood, and the problem is still persisting.

Sounds like it's a problem with the touch area. Would be something you'd want to send in for. Shame that it wasn't just an issue with the coating or something being dirty.