• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

XNA anybody?

angelsniper45

If anyone has experience with this, share your thoughts/experinces. I just got the premium dev license and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I will post the finished game im making in a week or so. Its a little mario like game, (not the starter kit)

Serideth

Oh neat, I have no experience with it and to my knowledge there's few people that came over on our side of the merge that do. Anyway just wanted to post here so I have this thread on record.

angelsniper45

Oh neat, I have no experience with it and to my knowledge there's few people that came over on our side of the merge that do. Anyway just wanted to post here so I have this thread on record.

Hehe, i took a class on C# so i jumped right in it since sbox live is such a wide range of potential buyers. and of course your learning stuff while your killing time :p

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I've had XNA for 3 years now, and not once have I even tried to develop anything from it, so props for trying.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Since I'm no developer the answer is clearly no from me. However Socals, an old PSP developer, did dive into some XNA stuff earlier on and attempted to port his game Squarez over. He had a working version using the Xbox 360 controller within a few days of installing it. Believe he had a positive experience with the entire studio, too bad he stopped development of it. It worked great and was coming along nicely.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i've played with xna back in it's 2.0 days, i have a 1 year dev license still waiting to be activated whenever i get back to it, but it wasn't really my cup of tea, felt too "restricted", trying to get anything to run on another computer practically required me to re-install visual studio+xna, the xna distributive just did not work, this is what mainly had me go back to psp/pc development with openGL/c++, although i've heard it's gotten better since then, perhaps i'll delve back in someday.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
My roommate and I are going to start learning XNA in a couple weeks.
He's been working on some games in Dark BASIC, which I believe is C# and Java (don't quote me on that, I have no idea).
Either way, I'm a computer science major, and I'll be getting into C and C# this semester, most likely, so I bet I'll mess around a bit in XNA.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
My roommate and I are going to start learning XNA in a couple weeks.
He's been working on some games in Dark BASIC, which I believe is C# and Java (don't quote me on that, I have no idea).
Either way, I'm a computer science major, and I'll be getting into C and C# this semester, most likely, so I bet I'll mess around a bit in XNA.
darkbasic is basically visualbasic built to be a game engine, and imo is quite diffrent then c#/c

LocutusEstBorg

XNA is a ripoff and should be free IMO. Most people will be reluctant to even try when you have to pay first. You get a free license with MSDNAA from ACM/IEEE etc so it's better than paying Microsoft 5x more. I don't have a console so I didn't try it at all.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
XNA is a ripoff and should be free IMO. Most people will be reluctant to even try when you have to pay first. You get a free license with MSDNAA from ACM/IEEE etc so it's better than paying Microsoft 5x more. I don't have a console so I didn't try it at all.

I've managed to get it for free through special promotions (although no longer believe I have access since it's a yearly subscription if I recall). Either way, it's not a bad price to pay for most developers

angelsniper45

I meaning having to pay $100 just to experiment with it the first time will put off most potentials from even trying it.

Ive built a couple of games on the free license, and i find that its a great investment, plus you can run it on any console/computer that you have, which is great for since i fly up to chicago a lot and i can have everything set up there.

karnbmx

ceebs. :)
Sadly, Not my cup of tea.

I have done a bit of XNA in the past and might I tell you it's time consuming!!!

I'd rather stick to languages such as Java and Python.

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
I forgot XNA wasn't free.
Haha.
Go to dreamspark.com and signup for a free account (you have to be in college/have an email adress that ends in ".edu").
There's a bunch of free shit there.

I forgot XNA wasn't free.
Haha.
Go to dreamspark.com and signup for a free account (you have to be in college/have an email adress that ends in ".edu").
There's a bunch of free shit there.

Whoa, seen posters for this but never bothered to check it out.

Windows Server 2008 R2? Free?

I may give XNA another shot now, tried it back when I was screwing around with C#, may revisit it now with a bit more knowledge.

angelsniper45

Whoa, seen posters for this but never bothered to check it out.

Windows Server 2008 R2? Free?

I may give XNA another shot now, tried it back when I was screwing around with C#, may revisit it now with a bit more knowledge.

I dont mean to sound like a promoter, but its worth giving another shot. THe new features are great, and the community isnt as locked down as it used to be before 3.0, they are a lot better at actually helping.

angelsniper45

Ok sorry for the double post BUT. I downloaded and tried the 4.0 version that recently came out and it is just terrible. Microsoft seems like they just threw in some stuff like wp7 tools which are neat. BUT it seems they have neglected the 360 side. I got the 3.1 back after trying a few different projects out. It's not right for me, but hey. You might like it. Just thought I'd throw that little rant in.