• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Your Favorite Books

Adiuvo

Mine are:

Invisible Man- A classic book that deals with racism. It's generally on a 'must read' list in high school, but if it isn't in yours you should read it anyway. The book doesn't explain everything to you directly, and as a result reading it a second time is even better since you understand all of the little references.

Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel- A book about two magicians, who are trying to restore magic in England. This has to be my favorite book, I've read it over ten times and own three different copies. The book has had nearly all positive reviews, and has won many awards. Strange and Norrel also has a very expansive universe, with tons of fictional books, authors, etc., which it describes through footnotes.

Xanth Series- These are mainly just for fun. They're good books, and remind me a bit of Harry Potter. Enough to keep you interested, and the universe large and detailed.

Hellcat

Contributor
All time fav: "Die Unendliche Geschichte" (Neverending Story) - a fantasy novel that deals about a young boy saving the world of phantasy ("Phantasien") from ceasing to exist and then (about 1/3rd of the book) when he finally did, he gets there himself for quite some Adventures. Awesome, IMO :)

Another one I really liked and also like to recommend is "Digital Fortress" by the guy who also made "Illuminati" and "The Da Vinci Code" (also VERY recommendable books!)
"Digital Fortress" deals about the NSA and their code breaking machine and some supposingly unbreakable/unhackable encryption (which they don't really like, of course) and the fight of the NSA to get it and lock it up.
And right when you think "AH! Of course, this is how it'll all end" it twists and turns around only to do a full 90 degrees turn again at the end.

Joey

All time fav: "Die Unendliche Geschichte" (Neverending Story) - a fantasy novel that deals about a young boy saving the world of phantasy ("Phantasien") from ceasing to exist and then (about 1/3rd of the book) when he finally did, he gets there himself for quite some Adventures. Awesome, IMO :)

Another one I really liked and also like to recommend is "Digital Fortress" by the guy who also made "Illuminati" and "The Da Vinci Code" (also VERY recommendable books!)
"Digital Fortress" deals about the NSA and their code breaking machine and some supposingly unbreakable/unhackable encryption (which they don't really like, of course) and the fight of the NSA to get it and lock it up.
And right when you think "AH! Of course, this is how it'll all end" it twists and turns around only to do a full 90 degrees turn again at the end.

I think the "Illuminati" book you're talking about is actually called "Angels and Demons"... Which is Dan Browns best book, if ask me.

Hellcat

Contributor
I think the "Illuminati" book you're talking about is actually called "Angels and Demons"... Which is Dan Browns best book, if ask me.
That can very well be, wasn't sure on the original name (you know, they always bork up translations here in germany :wallbash: ).

Did you know they make it into a movie as well now? :)

And I can't wait for the third "Robert Langdon" themed one, "Solomons Key".... he was supposed to have it finished November 2007 :D but he still isn't :(
Writers block or something?

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
Ender's Game. Deals with a child genius who goes to academy to train to be a military leader. Don't bother with the rest of the series though, they suck.

Joey

That can very well be, wasn't sure on the original name (you know, they always bork up translations here in germany :wallbash: ).

Did you know they make it into a movie as well now? :)

And I can't wait for the third "Robert Langdon" themed one, "Solomons Key".... he was supposed to have it finished November 2007 :D but he still isn't :(
Writers block or something?

Indeed, I've been hyped for Solomon's Key too...

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
Hmmm, a thread that I can actually answer to the teeth :D

In no particular order, all favorites of mine so much so that I can't say one and not the other. Series and single books are mixed :p

• Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
  • Ender's Shadow (parallel to Ender's Game) - Orson Scott Card
  • Any of the books after Ender's Shadow that detain Bean (a secondary main character) - " "
  • Star Wars: A New Jedi Order - there were quite a few different authors
  • Star Wars: Legacy of the Force - same as above for the most part
  • Animorphs, when I was younger - K.A. Appelgate
  • Harry Potter (I know, can't help myself, I started when I was really young, and am still hooked) - J.K. Rowlings
  • Are you my mother? - A child's book (don't remember the author, might have been Dr. Seuss)
  • Others that I can't remember off the top of my head

Those and many more, but those have been the most influential.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Fiction

The Halo Novels - Assorted Authors
Not much to say about this. Pretty much just novel versions of the games.

Eragon Trilogy - Christopher Paolini
This is about a boy who finds a dragon egg in his woods while he is hunting. The egg hatches and then you can predict the rest. I haven't read the third book (Brisingr) yet and I don't know when I will either. It's been ages since I've read the other two and I don't remember the story well enough to read the third.

Harry Potter Series - JK Rowling
Go ahead and make fun. lol. This was epic around my area so I got into them while I was young. I haven't read but I own the last 2 or 3. I should probably get to reading them but I don't have much free time..

Non-Fiction

The God Delusion - Brian Dawkins
I read this looking for answers about religion and I found all of them here.

I can't think of anymore atm.

Serideth

The God Delusion - Brian Dawkins

I can't think of anymore atm.

You read a biased one sided book to get answers on something?

No offense but that sounds like someone saying:

The bible

Anyway, I read a load of books, too many to list but right now I'm re reading some of David Gemmel's books, RIP.

Joey

How do you know he didn't read the bible, and compare?

Also, it's "biased", not "bias", in that context... Sorry, I don't like being a grammar nazi, but misuse of that word annoys me to no end.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Ah, I could spend weeks compiling a list of books I enjoy reading - but I have no favourites.

There are the obvious ones: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit (although I don't exactly like the way it was written, I still like the story),...

The not so obvious ones: Kite Runner (I think this is the most well written book I have ever read), the Twilight series (I don't really like the writing style, but the general story I can relate to), The Green Mile, Animorphs (the book and the TV series),...

I can't really think of all the books I enjoy reading right now. I generally enjoy fantasy and mystery but like reading any good book.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie

How do you know he didn't read the bible, and compare

That's what I did although not just limited to the Bible. I read a lot of stuff online. The book is biased but then again so was everything else I read. It's pretty difficult to find something unbiased on the subject...

Joey

That's what I did although not just limited to the Bible. I read a lot of stuff online. The book is biased but then again so was everything else I read. It's pretty difficult to find something unbiased on the subject...
When somebody's trying to make an argument for something, there is no such thing as "unbiased"... Obviously if somebody feels compelled enough to write a book about something, they have strong feelings about it.

Slasher

Suck It
tbh, I haven't read a novel since I was required to in Grade 10. Ofcourse grade 11 & grade 12 required me to read novels as well but I read the summaries online instead. Totally coasted that

EvilSeph

Administrator
I'm really surprised no one has listed Kite Runner. Am I the only person who has read it? If you've read it, what did you think about it?

It's just such a well written book I'm absolutely perplexed as to why it hasn't been mentioned already.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
the Pendragon series - D.J. MacHale
Hitchikers Guide
Harry Potter
Cirque Du Freak and Demonata both by Darren Shan

Chathurga

I hated the The Da Vinci Code, actually I hate Dan Brown in general.

madsoul got two of mine, Hitchhiker's Guide and the Discworld series. I presume you've played Discworld Noir madsoul? I know you like P&C games so it's a safe bet you've played it too, what a game.
Hitchhiker's Guide degraded in quality as the the series went on due to Douglas Adams' depression but they were still completely awesome. Such a pity he never finished The Salmon of Doubt, there was a chance he was going to take it out of the Dirk Gently universe and make it the Sixth Hitchiker book :(
Given the ending of the fifth book I would have loved to have read the start of six :D

My favourite series of books are The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Those books are just so, so, so good, with the only exception of the flash back book. Wasn't a fan of that one.
It's really far from King's usual books too, it's a sweeping fantasy epic with an extremely intricate plot. So if you don't like King, don't presume you won't like this.
One reason I love it is the unflinchingly cruel ending that literally left me feeling empty for a week or two after I finished the last book.
For anyone who's thinking of reading the series:
When you are finished reading the last book, if you value the story at all DO NOT READ CODA FOUND. Just don't. I loved it (more than any ending ever) but for some people it just ruined the entire story... I wouldn't have taken the chance if I had been warned ;)

My favourite book ever is The Stranger (L’