• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Your favorite desktop environment?

Crank

Crank it up!
I won't make this a poll due to the amount of choices (thus the "Other" category would skyrocket in votes).

But anyway, what DEs people here use? I used to like KDE, but I went to Xfce when a friend recommended it and I decided to check it out. A while ago I finally decided to try out KDE4 to see if it was as bad as everyone says it is... and it makes me miss KDE3. I loved that thing, but they turned it into a monster.

I use Xfce for the clean UI, not because it's lightweight or resource-conservative (I got RAM and clock cycles to spare since my computer isn't built in 2002 :p). With a clean GTK theme, slightly transparent window decorations and Windows 7 UI font (Segoe UI) it looks wonderful.

So, let the flamewars begin!

spamsnake

I used to use KDE 3.X, but I decided to upgrade and I didn't like KDE4 so I switched to GNOME and I thought it was alright. But I think my favorite is XFCE because - even though I have a reasonably powerful computer - I like the speed it gives me.

Adiuvo

XFCE or GNOME. I was never able to stand KDE, never. Now it's even worse.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I cannot stand KDE if my computer depended on it.

I just can't.

I like GNOME or Xfce, just depends on the day.

Crank

Crank it up!
I think it is a shame that they fucked up KDE though, since the KDE apps usually have a lot more features than their GNOME counterparts, for instance Okteta vs. GHex or Kate vs. Gedit. But oh well. :p

RoBz

sucker
I don't believe in linux on a desktop machine, so whenever I need a window manager on my servers I use fluxbox over VNC.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
KDE just feels too overstuffed to be effective, so my favourite's GNOME. It's lightweight, clean and easy to use.

Amen to that.

Also, I don't like Gedit very much.

If you don't like Gedit, try replacing it with geany.

Hardrive

Contributor
Amen to that.

Also, I don't like Gedit very much.

Geany is much better than Gedit in my opinion.

I pretty much use Gnome now. My netbook has dwm installed, but I rarely use it, I usually just login to a Gnome session. It's cleaner and easier to use.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Geany is much better than Gedit in my opinion.

I pretty much use Gnome now. My netbook has dwm installed, but I rarely use it, I usually just login to a Gnome session. It's cleaner and easier to use.

Yeah, I totally agree. Geany seems to be quicker and more feature-rich than Gedit in my experiences.

Been building it from source and filing bugs(Though there end up being close to none) as a thank you, lol.

Crank

Crank it up!
I decided to check Geany out and it indeed seems good. Thanks for the tip :)