• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Retro Your first gaming experience

Seth

MD Party Room
So what your first gaming experience?That moment where you felt like you where a gamer. What System or game was it ? How old where you? stuff like that.

Mine as far I ca rember was when I was about 3 and me and my fam where going to visit my ants and uncles new house. I saw the Snes I turned on the snes and turned on the tv,I then started to play super Mario world with anyone even noticing while everyone charted it up. I beat the whole game with the later help of my uncle for some of the really hard levels near bowser and stuff keeping in mind that I was only 3 I saw it really sticks out in my mind as the moment I knew I be playing games for a long time. Sure it wasent the first time I ever played a video game( my uncle even played Intellivision II with me when I was even younger) as well as my ant who played pacman with me all the time as well on the old nes but that first time I the snes was the most fun I has video game wise ever.

eldiablov

Contributor
I cant remember buying it but it was definitely when I got this atari 2600 rip off known as the TV boy. It was just an epic thing to play.

Cryox

Bro.
mine first gaming console was the Sega Genesis. i liked it, but wasn't hooked (i was maybe 5 or 6 not sure of age at all though, just a guess) then i got a gameboy and was always playing it. Then i graduated to the DS and then i got a 360 (which was a long while after i got a DS)

so somewhere along the line, probably the DS, i knew that i was a gamer, but i was truly hooked at the 360

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
If not the classic arcade games, then definitely the Original Game Boy that my brother bought a looooonnnnggg time ago (I think it was right when it came out). I would play games such as: Super Mario (1 and 2) and others (can't remember off the top of my head).

twelve

I'm not dead
First console was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128k, I still have it and all the games. Then I got a Game Boy, then a Mega Drive (Genesis). But it wasn't until I got a PS1 that I got hooked on games. After that all of my money went on games, gaming magazines and gaming accessories.

hippie

the nes my brother got me then a snes and then jumped to ps1/n64 then got into the last gen stuff when they launched

Colm

Wolfenstien 3D.
PC.
Didn't get past level 4 though. To think it was only a demo version...

Adiuvo

My first was with a old Game Boy my cousin had when I was about five. I loved playing Mario on that thing. Eventually, I got a Game Boy Color on my own, and played both Zelda Oracle games to death. After that, I got a PS1 and a PS2, then I was hooked.

I never did get that N64 I begged for though.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
mine would of been the NES with super mario bros and mega man 2
then SNES with super metroid and super mario kart

both those were at cousins houses when i was about 3 or 4
then I got my own Megadrive (Genesis) for christmas '93 IIRC with Sonic 2 bundled with it
ended up having for my Megadrive (Genesis), Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Batman, Aladdin, Space Harrier 2, Vectorman and Tazmania :)

Robby

Los Doyers!
For me it was NES and I think the game was Double Dragon.
Then I got a SNES and got some mario games, a wrestling game, and some arcade titles.
The N64 came out but I only got Mario 64 for it as I hated the controller layout. Didnt play much games until I got a PS1 that was chipped so I could play burned games. I wanted to get a PS2 but instead got the Xbox and I played that til I got my 360.
Now all I play is my 360, my dad got a PS3 on launch but I never liked it so we just use it to play bluray.
Oh I got a PS2 slim about a year ago with about 30 games. I ended up selling it about a month later for $150

Seth

MD Party Room
First console was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128k, I still have it and all the games. Then I got a Game Boy, then a Mega Drive (Genesis). But it wasn't until I got a PS1 that I got hooked on games. After that all of my money went on games, gaming magazines and gaming accessories.

What kind of games did the ZX Spectrum 128k have? What era of gaming was it?

Might I add that this thread it 3x more active than the same thread on qj lol.

Slasher

Suck It
My first gaming experience was definitely my Sega Genesis. I have no idea how old I was, but it was right around as early as I could remember, so probably right around 4 or 5 years old. My dad bought a Sega Genesis and hooked it all up and I remember playing Sonic on it. Over the next year or so I got a bunch of games but the one game that really sticks out to me that I played all of the time was Sonic the Hedgehog. Good times :)

chrono6456

Snes, playing Super Mario Bros. 1 on the Super Mario All Stars cart.

I remember it as my first gaming memory because I remember my dad tried to also play it once, but failed, and that was the end of my parents ever trying video games. other than wii sports.

Sullivan

Mine was my dads Sega Genesis 32bit, then I played duke nukem and some games on his pc in the 90's. Then I moved to florida. All my friends had dreamcast's and n64's down there. But I had never really heard about them to tell you the truth, sega's were all me and my friends played when I lived in the north. I got a a gameboy color. Ad then a ps2 a few years later. Then my dad built me a P3 and I played on that for a while, like playing roman empires games, and stuff like that. And the old school need for speeds. Then I got a PSP about 6 years later. Then about 1 year later, I got a PS3. Ya. Fun.

A_Nub

Developer
Either my lynx or sega dreamcast, I played both extensively, I would take the lynx and stay up way past my little boy bed time and play under my covers.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
For me it was Super Mario Bros. on the original NES. I do not recall exactly how old I was, but probably around 3 or 4. I did manage to beat it back then, but only with the help of Game Genie, heh.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
Tetris on NES was the first game I can remember playing regularly. Then it was SMB and the like. I recall playing Zelda a fuckton too. Then I got a N64 way back in the day, then a PS1, then PS2, now a 360.

Fun fact: I purchased a SNES last summer.

Moose

Meta Moose
First game I purchased was Donkey Kong on the SNES. Then I played a ton of Pokemon on the Gameboy Pocket, first Blue then Red and then Yellow... then I got bored. :p

january39

eXo Staff
Wonderboy and Afterburner, on the Sega Master system. Played the arcade version of Wonderboy and loved it - Got the the Sega MS version off the back of that.

Played alot of Mario & Megaman on the NES around the same time also. They seemed so good graphically back then. I play them today and think wow - Can't remember it being this ropey :)

Although I played video games I never really thought of myself as a "gamer".

If i had to pick tho it would be the Gameboy color yellow Pokemon edition at the age of 6ish. Played that thing for hours upon hours.