• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Your thoughs on imigrating towards another plataform

KlaussMarcellus

So, I would like to know what you guys think about the idea of going from a gaming plataform, and then going to another one.

I was always a PC player since my birth, and I already got a lot of progress, games, achievements and stuff
But I was interesseted in a Xbox Series S/X, since it is very strong (for a fair price, since a equivalent PC would be 3x the price) and of course Gamepass.

But you know, losing all your progress then starting from 0 on the Xbox platform might be underwelming.

So I would like to know your guys opinion the topic.
What do you guys think abour immigrating to different gaming devices?

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
It's kind of ironic that you're asking that on a website that allows you to track multiple platforms. That's the beauty of this site - it doesn't matter where you play, all of your games are here. Well, aside from Epic but they should get their achievement system and tracking sorted out sooner or later.

I used to concern myself with trying to play games primarily on Xbox rather than anywhere else (because I preferred their achievement system and had a bigger library there) but over time I realized I would much rather value the best gaming experience over the specific platform. These days when there's a game I want to play, I ask myself things like: where is it cheapest? Is the PC version better than console or is it a bad PC port? Do I have people I want to play multiplayer with and what platform are they on (assuming there's no crossplay)? Is my PC powerful enough to play the game at console or better quality?

Unless you're really invested in the leaderboards on one specific platform I don't see much reason to limit yourself.

Though regarding your specific situation, if you're going to get Game Pass anyway I would suggest trying the streaming as I think you can stream all or most of the Game Pass console games on PC now. If you'd ultimately prefer to stay on PC you might be better off streaming some newer games for a while until PC component prices start to fall, which has to happen eventually.

Ultimately if a game is essentially identical across platforms I prefer Steam these days (and it's usually the cheaper option anyway) but in general I feel SO MUCH better now that I'm more platform agnostic in terms of where I play. It's a liberating feeling.

KlaussMarcellus

The achievement prerrogative you're not wrong, since that's idea of this website afterall. Also, realistically speaking no one really cares about your score except yourself.

What really worries me is the in-game progress you're going to lose, for example: lets say you're a high-level and unlocked a lot of rare high-value items on a game on a specific platform.
If you change plataforms you're going to start from 0, and achieve all your old progress from scratch.

Is it really worth the hassle?

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
I mean if you were already playing that specific game on one platform why would you switch? Just keep that game on the platform it's on already. Unless you're going to get a better gaming experience on another platform, in which case only you can be the judge of whether or not starting from scratch in that game is worth it or not.

You're not selling your PC are you? If you're getting an Xbox Series S or X in addition to your PC, then play on both. Again that's largely the point of this site, you can mix all of your achievements and progress together as if it's all on the same platform. No need to restrict yourself to one or the other.

KlaussMarcellus

I mean if you were already playing that specific game on one platform why would you switch? Just keep that game on the platform it's on already. Unless you're going to get a better gaming experience on another platform, in which case only you can be the judge of whether or not starting from scratch in that game is worth it or not.

You're not selling your PC are you? If you're getting an Xbox Series S or X in addition to your PC, then play on both. Again that's largely the point of this site, you can mix all of your achievements and progress together as if it's all on the same platform. No need to restrict yourself to one or the other.

Well its indeed because my PC can't offer the same experience as I would get on a console. On a Xbox I would get better and stable FPS, higher resolutions, better graphic visuals, quick-resume, Gamepass, Smart-delivery, Microsoft Rewards, No crashes, No FPS freezing, No hackers, Offers with Gold, receive free bonuses just for being Live-Gold on Free2Play games, etc...

And if I tried to build a PC with a simillar performance to that of an Xbox Series X or a PS5 or even a Xbox Series S I would pay a way higher price. Not to mention the skyrocketing CPU components price.

I could indeed use both PC and console, but for me its way more rational to use only one, since both can do the same thing: gaming, and the Xbox is better at it. So selling the PC would't be a bad idea, plus you save money.
(btw in my country even a XboxOne/Ps4 are literally 2x the minimium wage, and the Xbox Series S|X and PS5 costs roughly the same as some vehicles, so I can't simply put too much money on gaming - so yeah I got focus on one)

And yeah, it is up to me to decide if it is worh the hassle to start a game from 0, wasting all my time and progress I've gathered on the PC platform --- but I'm not sure which decision should I take, so that's why I would like to know the opinion of other people, what would they do in my position, what do they think about changing platforms, and stuff

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Well if you absolutely feel the need to sell your PC then an Xbox with Game Pass is a very affordable option. Thankfully your PC progress won't actually vanish, it's still there, so you could always come back to PC gaming again in the future, and it will still be here on exophase along with everything else.

If you're not desperate to sell your PC I would hold onto it whether you get an Xbox or not. Even if your PC isn't amazing, you would still lose a lot by getting rid of it. There are tons of PC games that just never get released on Xbox (including lots of indie games that should run fine on lower-end PCs). Plus there's modding, free online, plenty of free games, etc. Epic Games may not have sorted out their achievement system yet but they give out free games all the time, I have over 40 games in my Epic library and I haven't spent a penny. Steam and GOG occasionally give out some free games too. PC games also just tend to be cheaper, especially when the big Steam sales are on.

Don't even get me started on emulation. RetroAchievements is a whole other platform by itself and that also works great on lower-end PCs.

I also can't imagine not having a PC for browsing the internet. I mean the web browser on Xbox with a mouse and keyboard plugged in is probably pretty close now but still, it wouldn't be the same.

But ultimately you should do what feels right for you.

Last edited:

JDM12983

To chime in: unless you have a REALLY low end PC; the PC is always going to get you a better gaming experience than any console.
Now, yes - some consoles have games you can't get on PC. But when it comes to function, options, customization, etc. PC will always be better.

And that's the other thing; the console is really only for gaming. Yeah, it can watch YouTube and some other streaming services. But, web browsing will be severely limited, you won't have any of the good voice programs, won't have access to programs that allow you to edit video, pictures, etc. No really reason not to have both.

Honestly, the only reason I even have an Xbox One is because my brother bought it for me a while back as a birthday/Christmas gift. But, it's pretty much sitting there gathering dust now except for the rare times when my friend comes over and we play something on it - or if I watch a DVD/Blu-ray movie.

JDM12983

Also, as for "starting over" in a game. Only time I have ever done that is if a game came to Xbox first but eventually was going to come to PC. And I honestly don't mind as I will always prefer PC controls of console.

And the only two games I ever did that with were Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption 2.

Heck, because of all the delays I ended up getting GTA V on Xbox 360, then XBox One, then when it FINALLY came out on PC. lol (And the only reason I got RDR 2 on console was because it released there first as well)

Veelin

I think it's understandable, but I'm less inclined to try new platforms. However, getting wiped once on a different platform is nothing compared to 2k players, who get wiped once a year for "data updates"

Thornskade

But I was interesseted in a Xbox Series S/X, since it is very strong (for a fair price, since a equivalent PC would be 3x the price) and of course Gamepass.
Shouldn't really be 3x but it may (?) be as of now due to the chip shortage that doesn't affect Xbox as much as the PS5 and GPUs.
Gamepass is on PC, too.
You should also keep in mind that you are not being charged $80 for online play per year on PC like on Xbox. Free games are still plentiful on PC with weekly giveaway on Epic Games, and Amazon Prime subscribers get a bunch of games each month

As it sounds like you already have a PC, it is almost certain you will be off cheaper just getting a new CPU and GPU than to spend $80 for online every year

As you mentioned some other things: Quick resume is in essence a feature on PC (enable hibernate, enable page filing, and suspend your game using the Resource Manager), you can earn Microsoft rewards and finance Gamepass on PC by doing Bing searches and the daily short quizzes. Console games do freeze and crash as well and cheating is unfortunately inevitable with devices such as the Xim that are undetectable even on consoles

There's a ton of advantages you'd be giving up getting rid of your computer, such as full backwards compatibility or free choice of peripherals in any game. Any sort of web games or web-based services, full range of emulation, game mods and other customizations, choosing what framerate vs. visual quality you prefer, it being a computer that can do anything vs. a console that is largely restricted to gaming and some streaming services...

Ultimately it is up to you what features you care for and which you don't, but the number of things a console can do that your PC can't is vanishingly tiny and when considering that playing online costs $80 on Xbox, you may be better of just getting a new GPU on Amazon and pay by installments without interest

KlaussMarcellus

You guys are right, there are way more reasons to stay on PC, not only for the progress I've gathered but mostly importantly because a PC has its versatility, being able to do many functions a console could't, ranging from opening documents (like Excel) to programming and stuff. Not to most content is free (such as online play) and everything can be free if you're cheap enough to crack.

Only bad thing is you can't upgrade a laptop other than just adding an SSD.
By the way, do you guys recommend external graphic cards?

Thornskade

Well another great thing is that it's an open platform which can be applied to any sort of form factor you can imagine, so if you bought the upcoming Steam Deck, for example, you'd basically have a Switch but it plays all the games you already purchased over the years. That may really be the best thing with open platforms

I never used laptops, let alone external GPUs, so I can't say. You probably already know of the downsides that it's less portable than the laptop itself, plus the enclosure is surprisingly expensive. If I went for a laptop I'd probably just make sure to get a decent one that lasts about a decade than to spend so much extra on eGPU stuff.

Again, by the way, I don't know if you're into handhelds but have you looked into the Steam Deck?

KlaussMarcellus

Well another great thing is that it's an open platform which can be applied to any sort of form factor you can imagine, so if you bought the upcoming Steam Deck, for example, you'd basically have a Switch but it plays all the games you already purchased over the years. That may really be the best thing with open platforms

I never used laptops, let alone external GPUs, so I can't say. You probably already know of the downsides that it's less portable than the laptop itself, plus the enclosure is surprisingly expensive. If I went for a laptop I'd probably just make sure to get a decent one that lasts about a decade than to spend so much extra on eGPU stuff.

Again, by the way, I don't know if you're into handhelds but have you looked into the Steam Deck?

Thing is, this laptop was great for 2010, so its time has indeed come, but certainly there are other ways other than getting rid of this latptop, like eGPUs and SSD and stuff, to extend its lifecycle a bit more.

Sure I did hear about SteamDeck, and I was impressed by the great strategy Valve had.
A PC-Console hybrid, a Switch for PC-Gaming, where it runs all games from the Steam Library, being able to use mouse+keyboard and the in-built ''controller''.
Not to mention it is handheld so you can use it anywhere, and a last-longing battery.

Only downside is that it is not going to ship for my country, and the price will way more expensiver than it already is

Well, no worries at least I know I shall proceed with PC master race gaming

KGBc00L

Look, your aim must be to play on as many platforms as possible, and even own the same game on multiple platforms. You're not emigrating your current platform, you're just conquering the other ones. Explore different approaches to multi-platforming. You can be a purist on consoles, and a hacking mod hero on PC! Embrace it all! Also, playing a game a second time is not a waste of time either. Oscar Wilde once said: "If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all." Think of that in context of games. ;)

Thornskade

How I'd like to joke about this topic and go back to a time where it was all about the games themselves but I can't. There's some serious issues with how modern consoles try to control everything you do with your own hardware that they sold to you, I mean, is there really a good reason you can't use older controllers on modern systems, or play your old games without having to rebuy them over and over, if they're available at all?; it's bad for game preservation, paid online is a joke that is a lawsuit waiting to happen...

PC is not a "platform" like consoles. Its openness is what allows it to be free of corporate shackles, anyone can make hardware for it, this hardware can be in any form factor you want, and it's how you don't have to worry about losing easy access to games you've purchased ages ago (always-online games excluded, obviously). I've started to view consoles as ticking time bombs in this regard. I know there's emulation, but that just circles back to open platforms like PC or Android anyways

Without emulation, I wouldn't be able to play any of my old console games anymore, without having to buy a PS2 or N64 from ebay for 100 to 200 bucks (seriously, and with old consoles dying prices can only go up), and even then getting my save files onto my PC required purchasing extra devices. But with my PC game collection I can really just go ahead and install those on my modern system. Pop that Space Quest collection right into my modern Blu-Ray drive and install it in DosBox like it's 1995 again. Even in the future, should the industry switch to something like ARM processors somebody will make emulators for x86 programs, whether officially by the OS provider or by hobbyists, it's a guarantee. The benefits of open platforms cannot be understated if you care about games and gaming history

Utimately it comes down to cost. Getting consoles and a PC is a seriously pricey investment when there's so much game overlap, and I'd rather spend my money on indie games with interesting concepts than buying the same AAA game twice or even thrice