• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

A Couple'a Questions

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
I have a couple questions 'bout the PSP.

1. Depending on what I'm playing, it differs from homebrew to CSOs to Popstation, but sometimes my brightness 'flips'. What I mean by that is that, well, there's 4 brightness levels, right? Well, I'll go from the 1st to the 4th, or vice-a-versa, or from 2nd to 3rd, or back. I just don't understand why, does it have to do with the homebrew or UMD or whatever being made for 1.5, or what? I'm just curious, it doesn't bother me that bad or anything.

2. Is there an emulator for the PSP for Sega CD? Cuz I have several SCD games, and I wanna play my Popful Mail, Vay, Dungeon Explorer and Heimdall on the best handheld emulation machine in the world.:biggrin:

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I have a couple questions 'bout the PSP.

1. Depending on what I'm playing, it differs from homebrew to CSOs to Popstation, but sometimes my brightness 'flips'. What I mean by that is that, well, there's 4 brightness levels, right? Well, I'll go from the 1st to the 4th, or vice-a-versa, or from 2nd to 3rd, or back. I just don't understand why, does it have to do with the homebrew or UMD or whatever being made for 1.5, or what? I'm just curious, it doesn't bother me that bad or anything.

2. Is there an emulator for the PSP for Sega CD? Cuz I have several SCD games, and I wanna play my Popful Mail, Vay, Dungeon Explorer and Heimdall on the best handheld emulation machine in the world.:biggrin:

1. i'm guessing its a TA-082 mobo in the PSP or something,i never have any problems like that.

2. to run a Sega CD emulator,the application would need to emulate the Genesis/Mega Drive AND the additional hardware....would be quite a feat to be honest. and Sega's machines always seem odd to emulate from what i read in emulator developer logs.

Cheezeball99

1. i'm guessing its a TA-082 mobo in the PSP or something,i never have any problems like that.

Yea, I am. I ordered the PSP from eBay, them claiming it's a 1.5, and all they did was open the box to check. But I ran keycleaner and it said it was n00bz downgraded, so some keys must've went bad in the DG.

2. to run a Sega CD emulator,the application would need to emulate the Genesis/Mega Drive AND the additional hardware....would be quite a feat to be honest. and Sega's machines always seem odd to emulate from what i read in emulator developer logs.

Ah, yea, I do see your point. The Genesis emu I have now (DGEN, obviously) you have to run at 333 to get fullspeed on some games.

Okay, another question or two or three, several- Does running it at 333 heat up the PSP? Because I notice sometimes that below my left hand's fingers, like where the battery is, it sometimes heats up when I play for extended periods. At first I thought it was just, ya know, my fingers being on there, but it obviously wouldn't get HOTTER than my fingers if they were the things getting it warm, duh. So is it the battery or somethin? Also, in the recovery menu I have my clock speeds set to default- what is default? If I change 'em to, like, 300, will that mess with things that are supposed to run at less than 300 defaultly? Will it mess with stuff that's supposed to run at 333 defaultly? IS THERE ANYTHING that runs at 333 defaultly?

Chilly Willy

Contributor
The brightness bug is due to a new LCD module and the base 1.5 firmware the PSP custom firmware runs on. The new LCD modules in TA-086s (and a few TA-082s) use a new key and new display libs in the firmware to control the LCD module. The old display libs in the 1.5 base doesn't handle it correctly and gives the "odd" behavior, so any 1.5 specific homebrew will show that odd behavior. Newer 3.xx stuff won't.

To fix the problem, you have to write the newer display libs into the flash. There's guides on how to do that on various sites, like MaxConsole and lan.sh.

Cheezeball99

Okay, thanks, I might try that if I feel brave.:smile:

Cheezeball99

Okay, well, a few questions still remain on my mind-
-Does running it at 333 heat up the PSP? Because I notice sometimes that below my left hand's fingers, like where the battery is, it sometimes heats up when I play for extended periods. At first I thought it was just, ya know, my fingers being on there, but it obviously wouldn't get HOTTER than my fingers if they were the things getting it warm, duh. So is it the battery or somethin?
-Also, in the recovery menu I have my clock speeds set to default- what is default? If I change 'em to, like, 300, will that mess with things that are supposed to run at less than 300 defaultly? Will it mess with stuff that's supposed to run at 333 defaultly? IS THERE ANYTHING that runs at 333 defaultly?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Okay, well, a few questions still remain on my mind-
-Does running it at 333 heat up the PSP? Because I notice sometimes that below my left hand's fingers, like where the battery is, it sometimes heats up when I play for extended periods. At first I thought it was just, ya know, my fingers being on there, but it obviously wouldn't get HOTTER than my fingers if they were the things getting it warm, duh. So is it the battery or somethin?
-Also, in the recovery menu I have my clock speeds set to default- what is default? If I change 'em to, like, 300, will that mess with things that are supposed to run at less than 300 defaultly? Will it mess with stuff that's supposed to run at 333 defaultly? IS THERE ANYTHING that runs at 333 defaultly?

The default speed of the PSP is 333 MHz but Sony underclocked it to 222 MHz to save battery life. Setting it to anything higher just makes things run smoother, it won't mess with anything.

And it's normal that the PSP gets a little hot, but nothing will happen if you set it to 333 just the battery will run out quicker.

Cheezeball99

The default speed of the PSP is 333 MHz but Sony underclocked it to 222 MHz to save battery life. Setting it to anything higher just makes things run smoother, it won't mess with anything.

And it's normal that the PSP gets a little hot, but nothing will happen if you set it to 333 just the battery will run out quicker.

Cool, man, thanks! *sets all clocks to 300*