• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Crytek Announces CryENGINE 3

eXo

M for Messenger
New all-in-one game development solution for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3,MMO, DX9/ DX10 and Next-Gen-Ready to be premiered at GDC 2009Frankfurt a. M. (Germany), March 11th 2009 - Crytek GmbH (

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
And here's the first video of this.

[ignvideo]article_ID=965172&downloadURL=http://pcmovies.ign.com/pc/video/article/965/965172/cryengine3_trl_032309_flvlowwide.flv[/ignvideo]

Slasher

Suck It
Looks pretty good. Hopefully we'll be seeing some nice looking multiplatform games come out of this.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
My initial response "I'm going to have to upgrade my computer :("

My overall response: Holy shit! Awesomeeeeee

chrono6456

To be honest, I didn't see much difference from the current crysis engine in graphics quality, only some more physics features, like the branches reacting to bullets. :/

Slasher

Suck It
To be honest, I didn't see much difference from the current crysis engine in graphics quality, only some more physics features, like the branches reacting to bullets. :/

That's not the point.

The point is that it's a multiplatform engine that will work on all current consoles as well as PC. Making for easy porting with exceptional quality.

Joey

That's not the point.

The point is that it's a multiplatform engine that will work on all current consoles as well as PC. Making for easy porting with exceptional quality.

This isn't aimed at the Xbox 360 and PS3, it's for the next generation of consoles.

Slasher

Suck It
This isn't aimed at the Xbox 360 and PS3, it's for the next generation of consoles.

Did you read the article?

"New all-in-one game development solution for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, MMO, DX9/ DX10 and Next-Gen-Ready to be premiered at GDC 2009"

"CryENGINE 3 is the first development platform for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, MMO, DX9/DX10 that also is truly Next-Gen-Ready - with scalable computation and graphics for all major upcoming platforms."

"With CryENGINE 3 we are delivering our best game development technology that enables our clients to achieve their vision on current and future platforms to develop games such as MMOs, action games and more."

Good point though that it will also work on future consoles as well. Although I think by the time that happens, expectations might be considerably higher than they are right now.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
What you see there seems a bit complicated for current gen consoles, so we should definitely expect the engine to run great on the next generation of consoles. I just hope they can optimize their engine this time around (problem with previous engines was it was PC-only and not well optimized)

Joey

Did you read the article?

"New all-in-one game development solution for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, MMO, DX9/ DX10 and Next-Gen-Ready to be premiered at GDC 2009"

"CryENGINE 3 is the first development platform for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, MMO, DX9/DX10 that also is truly Next-Gen-Ready - with scalable computation and graphics for all major upcoming platforms."

"With CryENGINE 3 we are delivering our best game development technology that enables our clients to achieve their vision on current and future platforms to develop games such as MMOs, action games and more."

Good point though that it will also work on future consoles as well. Although I think by the time that happens, expectations might be considerably higher than they are right now.

They'll dumb it down, and shoe horn it in to this generation, but it's aimed at being multiplatform for next generation.

That's obvious, just by virtue of the fact that, just judging by this video, the visual leap is minimal. It's clear they're just focusing on making tools to make it diverse, and available for as many games, and platforms as possible.

The idea that this was made with the current console generation in mind is ridiculous though. Leaving the door open for this engine to be stripped to fit on this generation is not the same as being "aimed" for this generation.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM EST ----------

What you see there seems a bit complicated for current gen consoles, so we should definitely expect the engine to run great on the next generation of consoles. I just hope they can optimize their engine this time around (problem with previous engines was it was PC-only and not well optimized)

They fixed a lot of the optimization issues with Warhead. It did for me at least, I was able to run Warhead on Enthusiast, when I was only able to run Crysis on High.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
They'll dumb it down, and shoe horn it in to this generation, but it's aimed at being multiplatform for next generation.

That's obvious, just by virtue of the fact that, just judging by this video, the visual leap is minimal. It's clear they're just focusing on making tools to make it diverse, and available for as many games, and platforms as possible.

The idea that this was made with the current console generation in mind is ridiculous though. Leaving the door open for this engine to be stripped to fit on this generation is not the same as being "aimed" for this generation.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM EST ----------

They fixed a lot of the optimization issues with Warhead. It did for me at least, I was able to run Warhead on Enthusiast, when I was only able to run Crysis on High.

Indeed, Warhead was much more optimized but I felt that it could've been even more optimized. Now that it is to run on consoles as well (which might just be "weaker" in comparison) might make them optimize it even more while trying to maintain the same great look. I still couldn't run warhead that well (wanted to max out) though with my 8800gt and Q6600.

Sullivan

Ok, some members on another forum, are debating, and I need your guy's opinions.

What would run this engine better if it was use on our current next gen systems? 360 or PS3. I think it would be the PS3, not being a fan boy on it, just saying, and after reading that Flower game, and how its rendered on the PS3.

@ipaq, you should really think about upgrading to a new gfx card. You can sell that 8800 on overclock.net for at least 88$, and spends 50$ and get a GTS250.

Slasher

Suck It

Seems logical, but it also sounds like you're asserting a little too much here.

Ok, some members on another forum, are debating, and I need your guy's opinions.

What would run this engine better if it was use on our current next gen systems? 360 or PS3. I think it would be the PS3, not being a fan boy on it, just saying, and after reading that Flower game, and how its rendered on the PS3.

Impossible to know until we see it in action. It depends on if they decide to take advantage of what the PS3 is really capable of. Taking into account that this is multiplatform, and not PS3 specific, it's likely that they won't be taking extra steps to making it look prettier on the PS3 though since pretty much every single multiplatform game to date hasn't yet. Who knows though, because once again it's impossible to tell until we actually see it.

chrono6456

@ipaq, you should really think about upgrading to a new gfx card. You can sell that 8800 on overclock.net for at least 88$, and spends 50$ and get a GTS250.

I think it would look almost exactly the same on both consoles, running the equivalent of low or medium on the pc version. Remember the PS3 GPU is based of a nvidia 7800

Slasher

Suck It
Great video that pretty much proves my earlier point.
Joey said:
The idea that this was made with the current console generation in mind is ridiculous though.
Joey, its hardly been "shoe horned" and they certainly haven't 'dumbed it down' to work with current consoles. It looks damn near the same as the PC version of it.