• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

any linux users here!

dekard10

Anyone a linux system user.I've just dual booted my laptop with pclinuxos and win.xp,but eventually want to have only linux.I've managed to find like for like linux apps for my payroll & accounts,are there any for the psp.(to use custom firmwares,back ups etc)

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Some of the Windows apps can be used in WINE in linux. I made a python script to make popstation files in linux (tested in Fedora Core 6, but should work in any linux distro). I currently use WINE to run the various apps I use to encode videos for the PSP, but someone is making a nice GUI based encoder for linux. It's a bit limited at the moment, but it's getting there.

You can transfer homebrew, music, pictures, and videos to/from the PSP via USB on any linux distro. That doesn't take anything special. I use Fedora Core 7 almost exclusively. I only switch to Windows for two games that don't currently run in WINE.

A good file manager I use for copying stuff around (the computer as well as the PSP) is krusader. I set it for Total Commander mode as I got used to Total Commander on Windows some time back.

The current way I make PSP videos (PMP AVC format):

Rip video and make avs script using Gordian Knot running via WINE.
Transcode avs to x264 using command line version of x264.
Trancode DVD audio to mp3 via BeLite running via WINE.
Mux avc and mp3 using PMPMuxer AVC (use the perl source in linux, not the Windows executable).

dekard10

Thanks for that! I found a programme called qpspmanager but after reading various reviews decided not to go with it,everyone rubbished it!I tried wine which ran my windows accounting software,but wouldn't run my payroll.I have also read that running windows in a VM on linux works better than wine,know anything about VM?Guess I'll have to get my reading head on again and keep a small windows partition for now.Thanks for the help anyway!

Darkchild

The Doctor
There is a program Called VMware Best for emulating windows in ANY operating system =D
Red Hat and debian compatible =D

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Besides VMWare, there's also qemu. Qemu is free, and if you're on a 32bit system, you can use the accelerated version. VMWare is better all around, but costs money. If you have a NEW cpu with hardware virtualization, you could also go hardcore and run Xen. Xen allows you to run multiple OSes at the same time on the same machine. Hardware virtualization in the CPU is needed to get Windows to run in Xen. The major linux distros have a Xen kernel available in the repo along with support for Xen at the desktop level.

Depending on you needs, qemu will probably suffice for accounting and payroll software.

dekard10

thanks both for the advice.I have found psxpsp for linux & popstation,but both need compiling,a bit beyond my experience with linux at the moment but I will do some more reading and have a bash at them.My accounting & payroll aren't a problem as kde has kmymoney & I can use an online payroll software.Seems strange that there isn't something as basic as a payroll programme for linux.Well thanks again guys,off to do some more reading & googling.Full linux os is looming.Oh! by the way,pclinuxos is a mandriva distro.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
thanks both for the advice.I have found psxpsp for linux & popstation,but both need compiling,a bit beyond my experience with linux at the moment but I will do some more reading and have a bash at them.My accounting & payroll aren't a problem as kde has kmymoney & I can use an online payroll software.Seems strange that there isn't something as basic as a payroll programme for linux.Well thanks again guys,off to do some more reading & googling.Full linux os is looming.Oh! by the way,pclinuxos is a mandriva distro.

Here's popsx... it's a python script I wrote to make popstation EBOOTs in linux. Put popsx.py in a directory along with the EBOOT.PBP for Hot Shots Golf (or the 1.3M version of the stripped EBOOT. Be sure to make the name BASE.PBP!), cd to the that directory, put the PSX CD in the cdrom, then run popsx like this:

Code:
./popsx.py "Tomba" SCUS94236 0

The first arg is a string with the name you wish to use. It can be around a 120 characters long... I forget the exact value.

The second is the game id.

The third is the compression, which can be 0 (off) to 9 (max). One caveat - the last time I tried compression, there seemed to be a bug in the python zlib library that made ALL settings (1-9) the same as 9. I haven't looked into that.

Also optionally in same directory (if missing, using what's in the BASE.PBP)...case is sensitive!: ICON0.PNG, ICON1.PMF, PIC0.PNG, PIC1.PNG, SND0.AT3, BOOT.PNG.

Dependencies - CDRDAO, and READCD (usually in cdrtools).
It uses /dev/cdrom as the device, so if you don't have that, make a symbolic link or change the script to use your actual device. Most distros make a symbolic link for this.

Popsx does take into account any audio tracks on the disc, so CDDA is supported by the EBOOTs made by it. Very handy for games that REQUIRE CDDA, like Doom and Tomb Raider.

Attachments

• popsx.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 165

Chilly Willy

Contributor
One of these days I'll get around to updating it. It currently makes EBOOT.PBPs that need the bin file. That's compatible with all popstations, but I want to make a switch for making EBOOTs that don't need the bin file for people with the newer pops. I also want to make a GUI for it at some point.

Darkchild

The Doctor
you can use those SH scripts for that, there's an app that by commands makes good looking GUI's

pitty is...due to my "retirement" from linux I don't remember it's name T_T

though I think the easyubuntu script uses it, maybe you can investigate :O

Chilly Willy

Contributor
I'm sure there's a GUI tool for python... I seem to remember something like that making use of the python-wxgadgets bindings. When I get the gumption, I'll look around for it, make a wx GUI using python, then look at updating popsx.

Darkchild

The Doctor
I wish I could help you though..but ATI doesn't run that well in linux especially mine (Radeon 9600 PRO)

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Well, rumor has it that ATI is thinking of making their linux drivers open source (like Intel did a while back). If that occurs, we should see some decent drivers for ATI cards a few months later.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
I had nothing but hell with ATI drivers in both Windows and linux, so I bought an nVidia card and have no plans to go back (unless ATI actually does go open source). The only drivers ATI ever did that were any good were for the Mac. ATIs are GREAT on Mac OS... and pure cr@p on Windows and linux.