• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Why do people hate seeing public affection?

Proxin

Just wondering what you guys think on this.
I know numerous people who get very offended if they see couples making out in public and whatnot. I myself don't like to see other people eating each other's faces, but I can't figure why not. I mean, if it offends people and myself, the logical thing to do would be just look the other way right? It's their business and not yours, you don't run the world, you can't control who and what you see unless you look the other way to things. But I still can't shake myself from feeling like I shouldn't see that for some reason.
Wouldn't it be fair seeing as I like to kiss my girlfriend, that other couples should be able to kiss freely as well?

Anyway, what do you think about this? I've thought about maybe there's something of a jealousy that's formed when they see it, but I don't think that's quite the reason...

Zx30

Beto
Who are these numerous people? Do they represent the entire Earth? :p

Well anyways, I'll state my opinion on the matter.
Let us say I'm single and I see a couple kissing/ making out//etc. Well then I won't feel jealous, but wishing I had what they had or feel what they are feeling. I want to be kissed. I want to be loved. You know? I'm not jealous of them. I'm fine with them being in love and all, I just wish I could experience it too you know? But I still turn away for two main reasons.
1. Because it's not very appealing to look at.(Unless it's two hot chicks then I'd probably look at them a tiny bit longer)
2. I feel that I should give them some privacy. Would you want someone to interrupt you while making out? Hell no. It feels damn good.

Good topic by the way.

But no, I don't hate it.

Proxin

You're right, I have not made a study about this :p
By "people" I mean just by the people I have observed, which is friends and family and teachers and such. I mean the majority of people who I've bumped into have expressed such feelings.
And this is in California, mind you, where the said "people" are supposed to be very liberal and wild and okay with breaking rules, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree with you on both of them whenever I see others making out. I'm just a big hypocrite, I know. Lol

Proxin

Would you like this moved to smart talk?

I just find it awkward watching other people make out.

Sure, if it's not a problem ^^

I too feel it's awkward to watch, but I want to figure out if that's because of American censorship thinking for me or if it's just naturally human to feel awkward around people like that :|

Proxin

I've lived in American culture my whole life, my views and opinions will most likely be biased to the norms of American society one way or another. And since there's a lot of censorship that America as a whole participates in, that's probably contributed something to my views, like me wanting to not see things around me like hobos, dead roadkill, things that aren't society's norm or the way "things ought to be".

Joey

Would you like this moved to smart talk?

I just find it awkward watching other people make out.

I agree, it's pretty awkward. I'm not really offended when I see it, but it does make me feel uncomfortable when people are sucking face right in front of me. Makes me feel like I shouldn't be there.

Serideth

I agree, it's pretty awkward. I'm not really offended when I see it, but it does make me feel uncomfortable when people are sucking face right in front of me. Makes me feel like I shouldn't be there.

You must be a hammer because you just hit the nail on the head.

Zx30

Beto

Or it could be the other way around depending on the environment.

For example. You're eating at a dine in restaurant. A couple starts to make out. I think they should probably leave and get a room.

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM EST ----------

It all depends on how hot the chick is.

So you'd watch a woman make out to any man just because she's hot? :scared:

Proxin

What's weird is, in different settings people don't mind it. If you're watching a movie and the good guy gets the girl and everything, woo-hoo they kiss in the end and everyone breathes a sigh of relief.
But then again, you're watching that movie because you want to see that character's story. If you see a couple doing that in real life, you didn't go looking for it, you don't subscribe to people's business so you don't want to see it. And it makes you feel like either you or they should leave.
I think that's what it is with me a lot of the time...

Joey

Or it could be the other way around depending on the environment.

For example. You're eating at a dine in restaurant. A couple starts to make out. I think they should probably leave and get a room.
Yeah, but since I'm always the dateless loser anywhere I go, the shame always falls on me...

Like "What, just because I can't bag some pussy, these two can't have a good time?", and then I give myself 50 lashes in the name of the lord.

I can't believe I'm even having this conversation, I need to put on my cilice, and grab my whip.

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
Well, in my country, people don't feel so offended I guess. I just think it's cute :)

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
It's because it's considered vulgar. You're allow to kiss, but when it gets into sucking face and such it makes people wish they were getting laid too.

Slasher

Suck It
I think it's just because prolonged Kissing/Making out is more of a private type of thing. They can feel free to do it as much as they want in their own privacy, but it's just courteous in some societies to not do it in front of other people. The root of it all is simply conforming to societal norms.

They can share their affection other ways in public though such as the odd peck here and there which isn't a big deal, holding hands, hugging, etc. It's not like affection is totally ruled out.

If I see somebody making out in public (which tbh, I don't really notice it ever happening in public. People just don't really do that around here outside of their own privacy unless they're in the movie theatre or something maybe) I might feel a tad uncomfortable, but I just continue on my way.

If I see a quick kiss between a couple then it would just be considered something cute I guess, it really doesn't bother me at all.

Holding hands/hugging is totally fine. I don't even glance.

Whisper

Logic :(
It all depends on how hot the chick is.

Is that how you met your wife?

Just wondering what you guys think on this.
I know numerous people who get very offended if they see couples making out in public and whatnot. I myself don't like to see other people eating each other's faces, but I can't figure why not. I mean, if it offends people and myself, the logical thing to do would be just look the other way right? It's their business and not yours, you don't run the world, you can't control who and what you see unless you look the other way to things. But I still can't shake myself from feeling like I shouldn't see that for some reason.
Wouldn't it be fair seeing as I like to kiss my girlfriend, that other couples should be able to kiss freely as well?

Anyway, what do you think about this? I've thought about maybe there's something of a jealousy that's formed when they see it, but I don't think that's quite the reason...

I personally just ignore it and go about my business.