• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Input on getting a street bike...

Sullivan

I ride dirt bikes, and love them, but graduation is coming up, and I will also have quite a bit of money to spend, I don't want to blow it all away, but getting a bike would be very very sweet.

I was looking at the NEW Kawasaki Ninjas. I was looking at the 650r, there is a huge difference in the performance vs. money. The 250 cc runs at 4000$ and the 650r runs at 6799$.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Brad, I want some input, how many CC's is your bike, and is it plenty for you?

This is the one I want:

2008-kawasaki-ninja650rd.jpg

Hardrive

Contributor
Honestly, if I had $4000 or more to burn, I'd spend it on college, not a bike. Also, I would have spent the extra $100 to get a GTX 260 ;)

Sullivan

Honestly, if I had $4000 or more to burn, I'd spend it on college, not a bike. Also, I would have spent the extra $100 to get a GTX 260 ;)

I don't want a overkill my pc.

My mom really doesn't want me to get one, mainly because its houston.

Cryox

Bro.
that is a nice bike right there. i'd get that if i had the money in a second

Cryox

Bro.
i saw a guy riding by my school once, standing on the seat, arms in the air. I never saw him again....

probably cause i didn't know him, and he lived in a diff. county.

Brad

Yoshimi
Does anyone have any suggestions? Brad, I want some input, how many CC's is your bike, and is it plenty for you?

Ninja line is nice, as a first bike a Ninja 650 is on the higher side of the first road bike spectrum. Its known in the bike world that its highly likely you will drop your first bike no matter what you think. If you go with that bike, get a used one and your first mod be frame sliders. I always recommend buying used if possible when buying bikes allot cheaper and still look brand new.

I ride a 4 cylinder 600cc. That bike is a 2 cylinder 650cc more then enough power for the road. I think the ninja 650 is capable of 125-130 mph if I remember correct.

Note in 09 they released generation 2 if you decide to go new.

2009_Ninja_650R-4.jpg

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
I ride dirt bikes, and love them, but graduation is coming up, and I will also have quite a bit of money to spend, I don't want to blow it all away, but getting a bike would be very very sweet.

I was looking at the NEW Kawasaki Ninjas. I was looking at the 650r, there is a huge difference in the performance vs. money. The 250 cc runs at 4000$ and the 650r runs at 6799$.

This is the one I want:

[qimg]http://ffeya.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/2008-kawasaki-ninja650rd.jpg[/qimg]

Don't get the 250cc, you'll want more power after 15 minutes of riding. They are fine for dirtbikes but vastly underpowered for streetbikes. I ride as well, and anything about 500cc is a good streetbike for your first few years street riding. Remember don't kill yourself. I currently don't have a streetbike (I love teenage girls with giant SUVs) but I do have a 450cc dirtbike I'm trying to convert.

Sullivan

Ya, I have a 250cc dirtbike, and let me tell you, I already want something more.

My dad has a 450cc dirt bike too, he just put a yz conversion kit on it and stuff, and a high performance exhaust, let me tell you, when you crank it wide open, its very sweet.

I do plan on buying new, so I have the warranty, and free service for a while. What are frame sliders?

EDIT: And do you think 2 people can ride on that ninja at the same time?

Brad

Yoshimi
Ya, I have a 250cc dirtbike, and let me tell you, I already want something more.

My dad has a 450cc dirt bike too, he just put a yz conversion kit on it and stuff, and a high performance exhaust, let me tell you, when you crank it wide open, its very sweet.

I do plan on buying new, so I have the warranty, and free service for a while. What are frame sliders?

EDIT: And do you think 2 people can ride on that ninja at the same time?

Frame sliders are little stubs that stick out that protect the bike if it falls over. Plastics are extremely over priced so its a must do imo.

The ninja 250/650 are v-twins were your dirt bike is uno-cy. Also a pretty big weight difference your dirt bike is prob around 150 pounds were the 650 is close to 400 wet (Fluids included) I think. When not moving and that thing meets a certain degree its going down no matter how hard you push/pull.

And yes 2 people can ride on it.

Sullivan

Sweet, thats totally sweet, now I can take my special someone when I get this. Ok, thanks brad, I will definitely looks into frame sliders, way before I purchase the bike.

Do you have any on yours, if so, please direct me to them. Or at least some good ones.

lol @ darth budd

Brad

Yoshimi
Sweet, thats totally sweet, now I can take my special someone when I get this. Ok, thanks brad, I will definitely looks into frame sliders, way before I purchase the bike.

Do you have any on yours, if so, please direct me to them. Or at least some good ones.

lol @ darth budd

They are designed for the bike. So you gotta look for ones compatible with the bike so make sure they work for the 09 as its a new design.

And yes I have some on mine

Sullivan

did you have to do modding the frame to attach them? I see some that are easy install no modding, and some require some modding.

Brad

Yoshimi
did you have to do modding the frame to attach them? I see some that are easy install no modding, and some require some modding.

Look for no cut if possible. Some bikes you have to cut to fit them. Mines a naked type so I had no fairing to worry about around that area.

Sullivan

Ok, thanks man. I am so excited about this, I cannot wait!

Sullivan

My mom really doesn't want me to get on, but I really want one. More then ever now.