• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

install to a diff location

Ok this could be a really dumb question, but i have the orange box for pc and installed it fine, but is there a way to install it onto say a flash drive? I didnt get the option to change the download locatoin it just automatically installed it onto my primary hard drive. So if anyone knows if theres a way to do ths i would be very grateful

WillyVWade

The Orange Box is Steam integrated. If you could install Steam to the USB drive, Then log in to Steam, Install The games (note that the smallest in TOB is 1.6GB so you'll need a bigon') then it should have installed to X:/*path to steam folder*/steam/steamapps.

I have no idea if steam has measures in place to stop this.

X is an example letter, replace with your USB drive letter.

Cryox

Bro.
the access times would not be as fast as if it were on the harddrive, right? so if it did work, it would be slower and probably lag on online play more.

correct if wrong :)

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Well unless he play Half life2 from his flash drive even then it would cause lag but not as much that would happen from TF2.

Hardrive

Contributor
I doubt it would lag at all. Initial map load times would be significantly longer, but once the whole thing is loaded, you should be just fine.

However, I don't know how portable Steam is, so you might run into problems there.

Cryox

Bro.
ah. think i got it. it wouldn't work because on different machines, the needed registry files wouldn't be there, right?

Tommi

Hmm, I dunno...

I play WoW form a portable Hrddrive at times, just moved the whole folder over.

Hardrive

Contributor
It says here, towards the bottom, that somebody installed steam on an external drive. He does not say, however, if he tried loading it on a different computer later. Just try it and see what happens. Don't download any games, just try to open Steam on a computer that doesn't have Steam installed.

thanks for all the replies. lol i completely forgot about this thread and just labeled it a failure lol. anyway if i have time ill try to load steam on a pc that doesn't have it to see if it would work.

LocutusEstBorg

You can cut and paste the entire Program Files\Steam folder to any location on your harddisk, it will still work fine. It doesn't depend on any registry entries and crap so it doesn't matter where you installed it initially. (If you move it though, the Add/Remove Programs won't be able to uninstall it, thats all). You could copy the Steam folder to another drive, and then uninstall Steam from your primary drive. You can then just run it from the copy on the other drive, cos it doesn't need to be 'installed'.

I don't bother reinstalling Steam when I format my computer. It just runs without installation, hence proving it doesn't have dependencies. It will work on another computer if you copy it over. You'll just have to login the first time, after which it will run in offline mode.