• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

4gb memory stopped working on PSP

Asim1

Hi there,

Please pardon if this has already been posted but I couldn't find any info.

Basically, I was successfully able to downgrade and then upgrade my PSP to 3.40 OE-A. The 4GB memory stick worked just fine. Now when I put it in, PSP fails to recognize it. My laptop, however, picks it up but not the PSP. Does it mean it is shot? I tried formatting it via PSP but it does not even recognize it.

I have one other 4GB that works just fine and formats without any errors. But the peculiar thing is that, in the games folder, PSP shows "a lot" of corrupt files. They don't go away even after formatting the stick or when I try to use the "triangle" key to delete it. What could be causing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hi there,

Please pardon if this has already been posted but I couldn't find any info.

Basically, I was successfully able to downgrade and then upgrade my PSP to 3.40 OE-A. The 4GB memory stick worked just fine. Now when I put it in, PSP fails to recognize it. My laptop, however, picks it up but not the PSP. Does it mean it is shot? I tried formatting it via PSP but it does not even recognize it.

I have one other 4GB that works just fine and formats without any errors. But the peculiar thing is that, in the games folder, PSP shows "a lot" of corrupt files. They don't go away even after formatting the stick or when I try to use the "triangle" key to delete it. What could be causing this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Have you tried formatting it via the laptop?

As for the other 4GB, is the corrupt data still showing even when _nothing_ is on the stick? If so, its probably a fake MS.

KQ_jai

i had this problem too
my sad story is: i brought a so called 4gb ms from eba, once i format the 4gb ms my psp lags like hell and putting anything to the ms would be corruptted. To fix this i go to run/command/format x(name of ur drive): /fs:fat
Later i found out that although the fake ms reads 4gb in the pc it is only capable of storing 2gb, if i put more the 2gb in the ms all the files would go corrupt.

:'( :'(
So dont buy ms from e-bay if u can affort a real one.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
You guys, seriously, if you are going to go go buy a 4GB memstick, buy a Sandisk, they're usually actually FASTER than the Sony, and you know they aren't fake. I'm POOR and even I sprung for it- HERE it is at newegg.com, the best place to buy computer stuff online, IMO.

FatherVic

I agree.. I had this problem too, it was with a fake MS. Had to return it for a working fake MS. It is shot.

Asim1

Thank you for the replies. The MS initially worked great and then it stopped working in PSP. The computer (laptop or desktop) seem to recognize it.

As far as the corrupt files, the MS was working fine before. I had put 8 movies on it. This thing started happening after the 3.40 OE-A upgrade but not right away. It worked fine till I reformatted it to put just music on it. Even after formatting the stick, I still see corrupt files even though there in nothing on the stick. One peculiar thing I noticed was when I used the triangle key to delete the file, it gave me the following date information and would not let me delete it:

15/31/2107 7:63 PM

The date and time are obviously incorrect.

Asim1

Update...

I was able to completely format the memory stick via PC. All the folders got deleted. Then I reformatted via PSP. All the folders got create along with the ISO folder. The formatted size 3877MB. As a test when I tried to delete the ISO folder, I got the message that it was not empty and won't delete it.

The corrupt files were there with the wrong time and date. Looks to me to that the 3.40 OE-A maybe causing the issue. Any isights would be greatly appreciated.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Uh, one insight would be not to triple-post, man. Seriously.

Second off, it's not 3.40OE-A, because, well, it wouldn't be reading false things on the memstick, that just doesn't make sense, although most problems don't.:biggrin:

Honestly, only thing that DOES make sense is that they are fake memsticks. The only thing I can suggest to do is, uh, nothing really, just take the memstick back or return it or whatever. Or if you're convinced it's 3.40OE-A you can always DG back to 1.5 and then go to another OE to see if the problem is still there.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The corrupt files were there with the wrong time and date. Looks to me to that the 3.40 OE-A maybe causing the issue. Any isights would be greatly appreciated.

nope its not OE.. the memory stick is definitely fake.

sylar

Try this:

From windows, click on START, then click RUN..., type CMD and press ENTER.

A DOS command line will come up.

Type CHKDSK F: /F

Being F: the PSP unit when connected to the PSP (or the memory card reader unit of your laptop).

That command will try to fix any ERRORS within the memory card.

If you are lucky it will work, if not, it is probably faulty.