• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Next TF2 Class Revamp Is Sniper, Billed As Largest Update Yet

eXo

M for Messenger
The next Team Fortress 2 class due for a major update is the Sniper, Valve revealed in a recent blog post. Billed as the “largest TF2 update yet,” it’ll also include several new maps and gameplay enhancements. Another update is in the works as well that will bring fresh content to all classes. Though further [...]

More...

EvilSeph

Administrator
Man, I really thought they were going to be releasing the Sniper update last. It's already an overpowered class in the hands of a skilled player...
I can't wait to see what new things each class gets.

Joey

Man, I really thought they were going to be releasing the Sniper update last. It's already an overpowered class in the hands of a skilled player...
I can't wait to see what new things each class gets.

Well, any class is overpowered in the hands of a skilled player, don't you think?

I think they base these updates on what is the least used class. Sniper would have to be up there (or down their, depending how you look at it).

Chathurga

I'd disagree, Engineer is the most played class and I have a feeling it'll get the update last (or maybe Spy).

Chathurga

Oh I'd also disagree, Pyro and Medic are also heavily played (2nd and 3rd) and they have updates :p

It's probably random.

Colm

No, the spy update will be soon, but the engineer update will be last. The Engineer needs no update.

Hardrive

Contributor
The engineer got a half updated when they added the ability to upgrade teleporters and dispensers.

Colm

My point exactly. He's way overpowered as-is.

Eran's guesses for The Sniper Update:
Meet the Spy - This needs to happen
TF2 Comic 1 - The Meet The Team team were announced to be working on a TF2 comic. The first one of them may easily be released around the same time as The Sniper
The Sniper Theme Music - A minor change to the game, after all, nobody noticed the introduction of the Scout theme tune in the last update. But both Meet The Sniper and Meet The Scout had new music, and the Scout one was added with the last update.
Double Payload - Two side-by-side payload tracks moving in opposite directions. This was hinted during the Scout Update. There are two possibilities: One is that dpl will have two maps released for it, one in traditional TF2 desert style, and one Alpine map. Or...
A second game mode? - Assuming that dpl was nearing completion during the Scout update (as shown by screenshot), and that this is the largest update (largest so far was A Heavy Update, which introduced Arena mode), this update could introduce two new game modes.
"Lunchbox" Unlockable - A "lunchbox" (similar to Sandvich or BONK Energy Drink) that gives the sniper a single critical shot, with a recharge time of about 1 minute, but sacrifices the SMG, making the sniper the weakest close-range class. More skilled snipers will forsake this of course. /me stares @ ES